Chapter 28 - Nick: Workshopping the Senses

Chapter 28 - Nick: "Workshopping the Senses"

The final phase of training came all too quickly. Though, Nick had always been a swift learner from the beginning. Still, he found himself surprised that all he had to do was train whatever he was about to learn, and then he could finally go on his first mission.

Nick tried to imagine countless times what it could be like and how he would perform, but still, he was always uncertain. He felt eager to get out there and begin going on actual missions.

Stepping into the training room, Nick found that Richard was absent. The hyena turned his head this way and that but found no sight of him. He decided to wait, sitting down against the wall.

This gave him the chance to think about how things had gone recently. That night at the Chinese restaurant felt like a new step for them. Richard hadn't played along with his chicken throwing game, but a slow understanding grew between them.

The food was incredible as always, and Nick tried everything in his power to make Richard laugh. He was still unsuccessful. The raccoon walked him back to the Institute and his room before they parted. The coming days of training had a lighter air to them. They felt more fun, and Nick had a feeling he and Richard were getting closer.

Richard cut off his fond reminiscing by walking into the room and turning his head to find him sitting. "Sorry, I'm late."

Nick shrugged. "Eh. Don't care."

"Is that your favorite thing to say?" the raccoon quarreled.

"I don't care about things that don't matter."

Richard just wrinkled his brows. "Is that so?"

"Yeah, dude. It's a waste of time, otherwise."

Richard sighed, walking over to the wall panel and tapping around. ". . . So. Are you ready for your final phase of training?"

"Yeah," Nick answered resolutely. "Hit me with it."

"I just might," Richard joked. "Because today is darkness training."

"Sounds cool, and I'm ready."

Pressing his digits against the screen with tak tak noises thanks to his claws, Richard slid his finger down along the screen, and the room got less illuminated by the unseen lights until it was as dark as it could be, which was all the way. He was already walking past the white line as he spoke. "Alright, Nicholas. Try and keep up with me."

"What? Just follow you?"

"Yes," the raccoon nodded. Nick got in front of him as the other animal began walking backward. "Now, this is the first darkness test."

The hyena walked after him. "Where do you come up with these things?" Does he honestly not know?

"Oh, before training, I have to read the procedures. It's basically like a checklist of what to teach you."

Nick nodded. "Guess that makes sense."

Richard turned a corner just before hitting the wall and kept on moving. "It's been rather helpful. I can't imagine having to come up with everything myself. I think we'd still be in Phase 1."

Nick chuckled softly. "Oh, Dick. You're better than you give yourself credit for. We'd at least be in Phase 2. Or maybe there wouldn't be phases in your version."

Richard's lips curled into a grin, which Nick caught, thankfully. "Thanks, Nick."

"Mmhm . . ." Nick looked to the right as he continued walking after him. Richard turned right again around the perimeter of the room, and the hyena noted that he didn't even see when he was about to hit the wall. He wondered how he knew.