Chapter 41 - Boris: Burning Rubber

Chapter 41 - "Burning Rubber"

Boris ran out of the door of the basement and, in his excitement, left the cellar door open. Marx, outside, questioned where he was off to this late, but the otter was adamant that the deer wasn't getting paid to pry. Slowly, and with metal chinks, the gate rolled open and Boris sped out, heading to his car.

Once he got inside of the dark blue vehicle, he adjusted the mirror, looking at his reflection's darkened eyes. "Okay, I'm going, I'm going." Please . . .

He began driving the car forward down the road, away from the manor. As always with his kills, the general location of his target just came to him. He knew every turn on the way there. It bothered him how he possessed "killer instincts" now. The fact that Boris could locate an animal he was supposed to kill was not ever an ability he thought he'd have.

The otter gripped the wheel tightly as the car rolled down the road. Every time he was on the way to murder, his mind went through a battle of wills, which he always lost. This would all be over . . . eventually . . .

The night was dark and lonely, as always for Boris. The air conditioner in the car added a slight chill to the space and he couldn't take another second before cranking it down two notches. He drove past shop after shop and wondered how such a lively city could be so dead during the night.

Poor choice of words.

The otter looked in the mirror. "Do you know if this animal is some special kind of creature that I can't kill? That would be really helpful to know now."

"I don't," Absalom answered. "He lives alone and he can't speak."

"Can't speak?" Boris frowned. "Why?"

"Yes," the demon nodded. "Make the kill quick. Time drips away every second."

"I'm still driving! And a little past the speed limit at that!" Boris argued. There was no response after his retort. The otter was getting used to having the last word at this rate.

=^.^=

The car slowly pulled up to a medium-sized two-story house, with strange coloring for the paint job. It was too dark to see very clearly, but the little bit of porchlight that shone on the paint revealed that it seemed to be that strange green color that mint ice cream was. The mustelid looked around to make sure there was no one walking about this late or that no cars were coming. He couldn't risk being seen walking in. Luckily, it seemed Mr. Green didn't have any security cameras either.

Boris exited the car and shut the door, walking through the soft green grass and onto the cement walkway leading up the home. After reaching the porch, the otter tried the front door, figuring it wouldn't budge because most animals were smart enough not to leave their homes unlocked.

He pulled out his phone and glanced at the time. It had taken him twenty minutes to get here. Boris still had plenty of time.

Using the light from the porch behind him, he looked into the reflection, reaching his hand forward and pulling out the Blade of the Mirror from the glass door's surface. Hopefully, he has some sort of noise machine or can't hear from up there. The possessed animal flipped the blade around and smashed the pommel as hard as he could against the glass, causing cracks to expand like a spiderweb from where he struck. Boris gave one more hard knock to the same area and made a hole that was a little bigger than he needed.

Boris snaked his skinny brown arm through the space, bending it to the doorknob so he could unlock it. Pulling his appendage back carefully, he grabbed the door handle and slowly pushed it open, the white blinds behind the glass clacking against the wood multiple times.