Chapter 43 - Boris: From Bad to Worse

Chapter 43 - Boris: "From Bad To Worse"

As Boris rolled up to Downing Manor, what he saw shocked the daylights out of him. He wasn't sure if he indeed saw it, so he parked the car in its usual spot, getting out quickly and dashing to the large front gate. Both gatekeepers' bodies were on the ground, including Marx. Blood covered their necks entirely, suits stained red. Not only that, but the gate was wide open.

The otter ran inside, following a trail of scarlet through the courtyard, realizing it led around the side of the building, right into the cellar door he had left unlocked in his excitement to save Leah. He took out his phone, checking the time. There was still time left until midnight! What could be happening there?!

Not wanting to waste a second, he sprinted to the cellar, descending the steps and leaving the door unlocked, still. He raced through the box-filled basement, terror filling him as he ascended the stairs to the inside of the mansion.

Slamming through the door, which flung open and hit the wall, Boris looked around for anything out of the ordinary. Immediately, to his left, he saw that a long line of vermillion painted the wall on his left.

Panicking, Boris looked around for anything that had a reflection, finding a picture frame of his father and turning so it lined up with the old light on the wall. Finally seeing the dark version of himself within, he retrieved his dagger and rushed down the hall toward the large foyer in front of the mansion near the proper entrance.

Without warning, an animal attacked him from behind and knocked him to the floor, the blade sliding out of his hand. Whoever it was was strong, pulling his arms back and wrapping rope around his wrists as he struggled beneath their weight. They searched his pockets, and every single item was confiscated.

"Pick him up," a deep and sinister voice said from the shadows, and Boris was lifted onto his feet. "Take him to the dining room with the others."

Others?! Absalom! Help! Help me! Do something! Boris gasped as he was dragged forcefully across the extremely fancy carpet, under the chandelier with all the crystal-like glass hanging from it. As always when he needed him most, Absalom was absent.

The otter was dragged into the large dining room where multiple other animals were bound in chairs, wriggling for dear life. Tyler was the first to speak, coincidentally sitting in the same chair as when he recently had breakfast. "Boris! Motherfucker!"

Leah was across from him, doing her best to stay calm but still uncomfortable in the ropes.

Next to Tyler was the last animal that Boris wanted to see, extremely confused and scared about the events that were unfolding. His other sister, Molly, had previously been away from home and came back at the worst time. Filling the rest of the wood chairs were all caretakers and cooks, wondering what group was committing such an act against them. And finally, at the head of the table was Boris's father, Gerald, staring directly at his son as if he knew this was somehow his doing.

Only a particular animal was missing from the situation, which Boris noticed immediately.

Pierce.

The animal previously dragging Boris forcefully shoved him in the chair next to Leah, untying his hands and then tying them again behind the chair. As soon as he was bound, the lights cut off, and candles lit all around the room, sporadically. Animals appeared by each of them, darkened figures illuminated by the orange flame, and Boris could make out some of their features.

There were two dogs, a rabbit, a deer, and a cat. Their intimidating presence was felt through the entire space as if they had tentacles that reached out and tried to suck the Soul from each of them. And finally, one more animal walked through the door. This animal was a hyena, which made Boris's ears perk. "Nicholas?!" he called into the dark burning orange room, looking directly at the hyena shape.