Chapter 3 - Nick: A Deer Old Friend

Chapter 3 - Nick: "A Deer Old Friend"

Nick sat on the hospital bed, feeling the overwhelming need for a cigarette. He ran his claw over his pocket, imagining that even just the small box was there, holding the escape he desired.

He was looking at the doe before him, feeling like he didn't even know her anymore. Nora took his vitals as he eyed her carefully, explaining that the candle pulsing next to him was called a Soul Candle. It was his heart monitor and IV.

As was protocol, when Nick had arrived, they extracted a piece of his Soul and used it to make the mystical item. The initials on it were his own because this was his Soul Candle. Nora also told him that the flame would extinguish if he died. Not even the strongest storm could put out the fire. Nonetheless, the candle could be "deactivated" by cutting the base in half. Otherwise, they'd have a bunch of them everywhere from previous guests.

Not only had Nick learned that magic candles existed, but Nora had also confirmed the existence of Souls, just like that. It was almost hard to believe. She added that the Soul was how he felt all of his emotions, connected to the mind in that way. The brain was used for body function. It all went hand in hand.

The hyena had a quick thought. Does this mean Astrid's Soul is still out there somewhere?

Nora began explaining that in extracting some of his Soul, they had to take away a trait of Nick's personality, but Nora wasn't sure what it was. He would have to find that out for himself. The hyena still felt the urge to smoke a cigarette, so that wasn't a lost habit.

Nora pulled up the stool and sat down again, crossing one leg over the other like before. "So . . . I talked to Dante before I came back here. It looks like you're going to have to join the organization by default."

"Organization?" Nick blinked.

"Right now, you're in the Medical Sect of the Mortal Guard. We're an organization worldwide that makes sure mortals like you don't find out about the supernatural by many different means. I'm sure you'll learn about all the Sects in time."

"Sects?"

"Different parts of the organization. Didn't you notice the armband on Dante's coat? The one with the brain? That's the symbol for the Trauma Sect. He's the leader of it."

"I'm having a hard time processing this . . . ." Nick whispered. "You realize everything you've been saying sounds crazy, right?"

"Yeah."

"You said I have to be a part of it by default? Why?"

The female deer shook her head. "Because, Nick. We couldn't erase your memories of Absalom, so now you have no choice but to become a member of the Mortal Guard. But don't worry! You'll be able to choose any of the ten Sects that you like! Well, technically, there's eleven, but the Catastrophe Sect is only for old Sect Leaders, ya know."

The hyena's head was spinning. "I . . . uh . . ."

"I know, I know. Everything is moving so fast. That's how I felt when I first joined."

"When was that?"

"Oh, well, you see, my mother was actually part of the Medical Sect, and since I'm her daughter, I have to take up the mantle. Even though I could have chosen any Sect I wanted, this felt right."

"How long have you been doing this? I didn't know you knew anything about medical stuff," Nick blinked.

"I didn't, no. But I took the courses for the Medical Sect and passed the Last Test, so now I'm a nurse here. Of course, we don't use typical medical practices. We use a variety of spells and methods to heal our patients, most of which are part of the Creature Hunting Sect."