23. Test

The next week is uneventful.

Every day, James and I eat breakfast together and then he ends up having to go into the office to deal with this problem with the world leaders. I have to admit that I feel a little lonely when he isn't around.

Those same strange feelings keep surfacing whenever I'm around him and I wish I knew what they were and how to stop them. But I don't.

I spend the afternoons with Anna, or in the library reading, or in the kitchen searching for sweet things to eat. It's getting to be frustrating and boring. I swear, I might ask him to take me to work with him tomorrow just so I can get a change of scenery.

I'm lying on the sofa in James' room, half asleep when he gets home.

"Hello, Erin," he greets as he shuts the door behind him.

"Hello, Master," I reply drowsily as he steps over to me.

"You look tired," he observes, staring down at me as he strokes my hair.

I lean into his touch. "I helped the others tend to the garden. How was work?" I ask, sitting up.

James sits down next to me, smiling wide. "Considering we finally apprehended the people responsible for spying on the world leaders, it was a good day," he tells me.

"Does that mean you won't have to spend so many hours at the office?" I ask, only realizing how needy that sounds after I've said the words. God. Why do I always say the wrong things when I'm around him?

James laughs, pulling me into his lap. "Yes, Erin," he replies gently, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"That means I can give you my full attention from now on," he says, that devilish smirk plastered across his lips.

His words cause a bit of fear to shoot through me. I stare up into those gorgeous violet eyes, wondering exactly what he's planning. Whatever it is, I know it spells trouble for me.

My feelings are all fucked up but I think his words cause a bit of excitement to rise up inside of me as well. I wish I knew why I felt this way. What are these damn feelings and how do I get rid of them?

"What feelings?" James asks me curiously.

Shit. I said that out loud? "Uh, nothing," I reply hastily, embarrassment welling up inside of me.

James shakes his head. "Oh no. Now you have to tell me," he replies deviously.

I sigh, contemplating telling him before deciding against it. I shake my head, glaring at him. "No," I reply stubbornly.

"What was that, slave?" He asks me, raising his eyebrows in question.

Another wave of fear crashes over me. "Uh... I s-said no," I stutter, trying to squirm out of his arms but he only tightens his grip, his eyes alight with irritation.

"What. Feelings." James asks me again, his words laced with warning.

"No. They're my thoughts," I reply, my words coming out more meek than I expect them to.

"Would you like to be punished?" James asks me dangerously, his words intimidating.

Shit. No I most certainly would not like to be punished. Although, getting tied up again...

focus, Erin.

I let out a heavy sigh, deciding to give in before I make him any more angry.

"I'm sorry, Master. It's just that I don't really know how to describe my feelings," I tell him carefully.

"Why don't you try," he suggests, stroking my hair again.