Chapter- Twenty nine

The aroma of terror permeated the house, blocking my heart to breath as soon as I stepped inside Gini’s place.

I knew the drill! I will knock. She won’t respond. I will knock several times. She won’t respond. It will take few frightening minutes before she would let me in.

But that wasn’t the hardest part, Confession the right way was. And there was no other options. If I didn’t confess today, I would carry an enormous rue down to my graveyard. It has to be done today! What day it was? Monday’s twin sister, Tuesday! I didn’t even check my zodiac prosperity!

Thud! Thud! Thud!

Gulp! Gulp! Gulp!

Knock! Knock! Knock!

“Naman, son! Where have you been? Come inside. Come. Why are you huffing”? Brinda welcomed me with a heartiest smile which made my heart relaxed for a tiniest moment until I bumped into uncle who was now darting at me with suspicion.

“Naman, you knocked four times and you’re panting. Are you taking proper care of your health? I won’t allow my girl with a man with no stamina, mind this”! Uncle earned.

My heart which was relaxed temporarily suddenly started jogging. Look at this man! This 52yrs old dude has no fucking idea how hopelessly far and far away I was from courting his daughter and here he was tying his shoes for climbing the Everest.

“Low on stamina? I haven’t slept or wept for two days. No diet. Nothing. If your daughter doesn’t stop torturing me like this, I’m going to shift here right away.” I panted like a dog while holding onto his shoulder and continued, “could you please keep your eyes and ears close for a few minutes? I’m going to discuss something important.”

Uncle’s face slipped into a hollow of confusion as in it wasn’t his daughter but his wife was being robbed by me. His lips parted twice but escaped nothing. The area below his eyes wrinkled, making it a valley of disbelief. His brows began to narrowing and his mouth had become a full circle. Few more seconds and he will start drooling. And trust my words, it won’t be a pleasant sight!

“Uncle, stop freaking me out” I shook him twice. And he finally came around.

He gave me a questionable look.

“Shouldn’t you advice me or something”? I pleaded.

“What for? I’m just a mere audience, waiting to see your arse get beaten” He laughed out hysterically, clapping his hands above his bald.

Huston! Do you copy? I found the target. Lock and fire the missile.

I drew the chair out for him, pointed him to sit calmly and plugged the ear phones into his ears.

“Beatles?” I asked.

“Beatles”! He confirmed, still unable to control his breath.

I did a cross on my forehead and went straight to Gin’s room and took few lungs full of breath.

I knocked.

No sound!

I knocked twice!

Nope!

I knocked thrice!

Nothing!

“Gin? Could you please let me in”? I begged shamelessly.

“What is it? Speak and leave”. She flatly said.

“I can’t. I have to see your face. Open the door please” pressing my hands on my pounding chest, I managed to speak lowly.

“Im not upset for what you have said. If you have come to apologise then go home. You don’t have to.” Those harsh and obstinate words didn’t shock me as I was expecting all of this but it vested a faint relief inside my heart. A word of hatred is still a prize than the consolation of sullen silence. Words could be played and repeated but silence is hard to be penetrated.

“Open the door” As I yelled at her door while slamming it, uncle stood up from his chair and released a rebuke, “You idiot, leave my door alone! Don’t you take it out on my furniture.”

This man….he is not helping.

But to relief my anxiety, Brinda appeared magically and pulled uncle inside the kitchen. Thank you, Brinda. You’re a godess!

My bladder was about to burst and I wasn’t controlling it well.

Should I go and pee first? What if Gin opens the door and doesn’t find me. But if I stayed and she let me in, would I be able to control the pressure? What to do? Pee first or confess first?

Weighing the priority, I leaned on confession!

So, I knocked again, softly this time.

“Gini…we need to talk”

“Talk”

“From here?”

“Problem”? The one word she said softly but the unyielding force on the syllable made me give in under its unquestionable pressure.

I exhaled a sigh and bumped my head gently on the door, solely capable to realise how hard the situation was getting with time.

“You remember when I said, I didn’t want us to remain friends any more? It’s because I want us to be more than just friends. It wasn’t a temporary feeling, Gin. I have cherished this emotion for you since long time. I had hoped you’d understand someday but you didn’t. Not your fault though. I messed up. I made it so complicated. I should have confessed earlier but I was scared you would turn me down and would give me some weird excuses. I wasn’t ready to take a No. But as I have already messed up everything, I want to make it right. You don’t have to answer. You can avoid. You can kick me out. But I have to say this now before I lost all my chances. I love you and not as a friend or a brother but as a male partner. And I will keep on loving you. And if you feel it this way…” I paused and panicked to the latter part of my confession, “but if you don’t, I will understand. I’m moving away from the door. But I’m waiting in the dining room”

I slowly pulled myself away from the door and breathed through my mouth. The heaviness was lifted but my heart was filled with another anxiety. Will she open the door? What if she opens the door and turn me down? What if she accused me of two timing with Maya?

I sat slowly on the chair like a baby who was taken to a dentist, shivering to the images of pain to the rotten tooth to be plucked.

And then I realised it wasn't the anxiety but the pressure in my abdomen. I should have peed first!

***