Chapter- Twenty three

Counting nine days ..

Nine days have been passed since I have seen Gini physically. Although she didn’t forget to call me over the phone. Sometimes I have received, sometimes I haven’t.

Dad had gone to a seminar two days ago and to prevent myself from embarrassment by visiting Brinda, also avoiding possible encounter with Gin, I have stored good amount of groceries this time before my hibernation.

I ambled past the mirror that was attached to the right corner of the cupboard. There were times when I had stood there to admire my black curls which Gini liked to shuffle, my uneven skin where she used to brush her fingers on my vivid green shade just to check how does it feel to have beard as she can’t grow on her own.

Thankfully!

I grew a smile and dusted off the oval shaped mirror with my right sleeve. I was off to cricket ground to cheer Rahul for the game. He might be an ass off the ground but when he gets on the field, its really enjoyable to watch him play.

And today was no less than the most important match of the decade as Vivek, the girlfriend snatcher was playing in the opponent team. So the whole scenario was like this; Me and Maya would be in purple cheering for the team Brats while my Gini, I’m not sure if I could call her that any more, will be in green cheering for her current boyfriend who was playing for Team Godzilla.

I got down hurriedly and paddled fast to Maya who was impatiently waiting in purple tee and denim shorts, waved me the biggest hi of all time. I flashed another giant smile and pulled breaks which did a screeching noise on the road. She threw me another hopeless look and got on her bicycle.

“Listen, you freak, don’t pick the opponent team just to cheer your girl” She roared, kind of scolded me as if she had an inkling of my fluctuate nature.

“Never! Although I some times feel throwing Rahul off the pitch but I won’t ever quit on him. He is my best mate.” I assured her.

Why do I feel obliged to answer her properly and correctly. I’m kind of scared of her motherly nature.

“And keep your eyes off the Green” she tossed me another daring look.

We had few more chats before we arrived the Stadium. Players were already preparing on the ground. So we missed a good chance to wish luck to Rahul, not that he needed any.

My wretched eyes searched for Gin in every corner of the ground. She wasn’t there! She never misses a seasonal match. And today her Dobby was playing. She won’t miss it for anything in the world.  But where is she?

Maya jabbed me gently by her index, pointing to a corner where Gini was spotted standing with Vivek. Of course, if you want to see the head, you need to pull the ear first. But that wasn’t surprising at all. She was in purple! She wasn’t there to cheer her boyfriend but our team!

“that’s odd! Shouldn’t she have worn…” Maya was cut in.

“Green… yeah .. She isn’t a Godzilla today, I guess!” a relaxed smile travelled through my face to eyes which didn’t remain for long when I saw Viv whispered something into her ears intimately and she just nodded her head and before leaving he planted a kiss on her forehead.

Maya pinched my hand so hard that I was disconnected from their fairy scene and attended the red spot on my right arm. I know why she did that. The scene was so dreadful for my soring heart. I pulled my glance away from them and batted it on the ground.

Maya clutched my arms to make sure if I was doing fine and said, “Go ahead to splash your face. I will save a seat for you”.

“No, I’m fine.” I said nonchalantly. But deep down I was cut and bleeding.

But unlike other times, my stomach didn’t cramp or my heart didn’t squeeze. I felt disgusted. I felt disgusted at the sight of her. And never in my nightmare, I had thought I would feel it that way. For the first time, I didn’t approve her doings, I blamed her instead.

Breaking my chain of ruined thoughts, Rahul screamed at us from the ground. He is a right hand fast bowler and he is known to his sledging and attacking manner. I’m so proud of him. We both tossed a good luck sign promptly at which he smiled lovingly and went back to his team mates.

“A touch of brain and he would be just perfect” Maya chuckled. I really appreciate her choice of words!

A little less of brain and she should be perfect too.

On the other note, Maya and Rahul could be beautifully paired up. A brainless buffalo and a smartass beauty! I laughed at my own idea forgetting the forehead kiss, the intimate whisper, the touch and her.

The match began and Rahul was fielding onside. First ball was bowled and the opening batsman swept the ball with a beautiful cover drive.

“Wow…who is this guy? In your school?” I asked in a collected tone.

“My ex! Sunny” Maya answered without seeming alarmed, “Quite a player, haaan? Does two-time extremely well”.

“Loser! I hope he gets a hit on his nuts”. I seethed, “Your enemy is my enemy”

And the mighty almighty was somewhere walking down the narrow aisle and he listened to my prayer. Sunny was hit on his left arm in the third ball and he crouched down immediately.

“Hows that, sucker!” I jumped up in excitement. Revenge sorted!

“What the f… Sit down, Naman! Don’t do that. He might see us” Maya pulled me by my jacket and bend her face down.

“Why are you hiding? Let him see us screaming..”

“No, you are an idiot, Naman…Is he looking at me?.”

Maya gingerly pushed her body up and took a quick peek if Sunny was watching us this way or not. Having relieved by the sight that he had resumed playing, she sat straight and exhaled a slow sigh.

“Explain”! I gave her a stern look.

“We must not lose cool in front of the person who had dumped us. We need to be carefree and oblivious even if we are buried under the crust of the Earth” Maya lectured me a new chapter and sipped her drink and added, “if we show them that we still are effected by them, they will either take an advantage of you or embarrass you among tons of people.”

“So, how does it work for you? Keeping the ‘cool’?” I asked, genuinely interested.

“It’s the protection. Girls need to preserve themselves from the after effects of a break up. Doesn’t matter how badly we are effected, we can’t expose our wounds to them. So guarding our emotions is the fundamental need after a break up.”

I tried to understand her human language attentively and out of poor habit, I tried to connect my story based on today’s learning. The area was a mega blur as I have shown Gini both my concern and indifference. But have failed miserably.

The ground gave off an uproar as Sunny was bowled out and he was replaced by another douche who happens to be Gini’s blue eyed boy, Vivek!

Now, I was in a dilemma, a deadly one! Should I scream the fuck out of me and curse him for his early banishment or like Maya said we must remain cool as cucumber!

***
Thank you for reading!
Please vote share and comment.
~Droplets~