Chapter two

“Mom, Naman likes to eat bitter gourd so much. Won’t you offer him more?” Gini tilted her head and smiled at me like a creep. Its her famous warning look!

I hate bitter gourd as much as they hate me. Quite mutual. Since Brinda’s memory bank was shaky, she attempted a full spoon of fried bitter gourd on my plate.

Showing my detest for bitter gourd to Brinda’s face is equal to reading a newspaper. It won’t register my choice. And being a typical Indian mom, she doesn’t really take a No for an answer. Besides, who eats bitter gourd at night?

So, the only option I was left with was begging Gini for mercy with an assurance that I won’t ever with cross in my heart peek at her chest again.

I sent her a ‘I’m sorry' message with a plight in my eyes.

“I catch you staring at my boobs one more time. And you will get to eat only this for a month, twice daily.” She tittered through her teeth while showing me green squishy yaak looking bitter gourd.

“You want more, Naman?” Brinda asked politely.

“Actually mom, Naman has a test tomorrow. You can pack him some though”. Gini suggested and kind of saved my ass for the time being.

“I really need to go. I had a delicious dinner Brinda. You are fantastic.” I removed my hand off the table and made an attempt to get up before Gin makes another plan to screw me up.

“When is Rajiv coming back”? Uncle asked.

“Dad will be back by tomorrow mid night”. I answered.

“We have a poker match the day after tomorrow. Have to beat the Mishras this time.” Uncle slammed the table with his fist, determining to win the match.

The table screeched in protest. Previous two tables had liberated themselves from the pain. This was the third one, been appointed to tolerate his over enthusiastic boxing power.

“Koushik! You better keep your fist away from the table. If I find a single scratch this time, you will have to sleep in the bathroom with the snakes” Brinda gave him a solid deterrent.

What’s the deal with bathroom today?

I pushed my glance at the main door to suppress my laugh. Gini laughed openly at them and followed me to the door.

“See you tomorrow after school”, she said with the most amiable departure smile.

I drove back my urge to kiss her cheeks before leaving but unfortunately, my luck has kept me hanging on friendship terms with her and I hate this limited access.

“I promise, no more staring” I screamed back referring to my shameless gawking at her chest.

“I love you.” She blew me a kiss! A friendly kiss! God! I hate that. Even her birds get more kisses.

“I love you too.” I faked friendliness.

The fact that I literally propose her every time when I say these magical words but it never really reaches her tiny brain.

I delved my cold damp hands into the pockets and took a robotic turn.

--

As soon as I reached home, I received a message from Gin, stating, “Perv! Thank you for today”

“Just because, my eyes travel through some inconvenient places of your body, doesn’t make me a perv”.

“Really? What does that make you then”?

“A straight man!”

“Dude, get a girl. Date her. Gawk at her as much as you want.”

“I have you!”

“ewww”

Her hatred was flowing like a cascade, poking its way to my phone and my battery just decided to die in shame.

I connected my phone to the charger and moved to the study table. Although I’m an ace student in my school, I still need to go through few chapters before going to bed. And the magazine girl had to wait till past midnight.

My phone came back alive with a message. I knew its from her but I deliberately ignored it because I already knew the contents. Couple of girls’ pictures from her school tagging phone numbers with a winky emoticon in the end.

When will she understand my agony? When will she learn about how crazy I’m in love with her?

***

** I would like to apologise for any grammar mistakes.

Please like, share and comment.

Thank you 😊