Chapter- Twenty two

Brinda once joked, “Why don’t you shift together if you have to stay over the phone all the time?”

  Since getting up in the morning to going to bed at night, Gini and I used to be on the phone if not meeting in flesh. Picking up each other’s brushes to ordering another’s meal, playing games together to watching others play, laughing together to crying for another have pretty much been our journey so far.

  She was my routine, my morning bird to night owl.

  Things changed deliberately in one month, skipping me from her daily life to leaving me unanswered has been performed devotionally.

The process of Denial is way too foggy than the other phases. If Gin successfully denied her feelings for me or just let it be as it was then the whole thing would go in vain. So I had become a panicked patient who doesn’t want to take any chances. As Maya, the all-knowing saint had suggested, we haven’t met near her school for a couple of days.

While from the stadium I was watching Rahul and few boys ducking the basketball in the net, I received a call from Maya.

“Hello…”

“Where are you”?

“Basketball ground. Where are you”?

“Close. Found you. Coming…”

Before I tucked the phone in my pocket, I saw Maya climbed the stairs over to me and greeted me with a smile, “So you ogle at Gini’s breasts”?

“Who said that? Gini?” I asked.

After a long tiring day at school and few Gini-less days, the first thing I wished to hear from Maya about how was I doing and few more shaky plans that I would be needing to follow blindly but she just blasted a bomb.

The question didn’t bother me but the source was my main concern. Why would Gini expose things that happened between us? How does it matter?

“She came to me today and gave me a tiny details about why should I rethink of dating you” Maya arched her brows and laughed while depicting how funnily she was threatened by Gini.

“What else did she say”? I asked being impatient.

“That how close you have been since childhood and that she knows everything about you…that you would take a bullet for her as the bond is so strong and finally you would never date a girl without her permission. She literally owns you”… Maya rolled her eyes and shook her shoulder.

“She said all these? On purpose? Why would she do that”?

“Exactly what you should have done. At least she has the guts to follow her heart.” Maya sat next to me and searched her bag  for something edible.

“Explain, please”. I narrowed my eyes.

“She wants us to break up. She tried you. You didn’t listen. Her efforts are targeting me now. She is doing everything she can. You should be proud of her.” She illustrated fine but I was a dying patient who desperately trying to be convinced that he didn’t have a terminal disease.

“What do you want to say? She wants us apart so that she could squeeze herself in”? I pulled a black glare at Maya who looked so gutted. I knew a result doesn’t have wings on back or jumpers under its feet but my patience was wearing thin as the whole thing was based on purely assumptions and theoretical based.

“Isn’t it too obvious”? Maya pulled her face in disappointment.

“You don’t know Gin the way I do. She is a Doberman. She would have eaten you alive if she wanted to. Why donning a mask of Denial?” I glunched.

“Patience, my dear!” Maya again assured.

“I eat patience in breakfast. Do you want me to burp”? I scoffed.

“Ewwww”

“Who wants to burp”? Rahul jogged to us and I handed him over a bottle of water.

“You have a cricket match. Why are you playing basketball”? Maya focused on him casting me out.

“I have a few beautiful audience” Rahul winced, “So… what did I miss”?

“Nothing, let’s go! When are you off to your grandmother”? I asked him while stretching my legs and arms.

Rahul’s grand mother’s birthday was coming up this weekend and he never misses this day for anything in the world. There are some parts of him, I admire the most. He won’t admit but he is a family guy, quite domestic. He prefers to keep his emotional side wrapped up in a box where the rest of the world can’t sneak a peek.

“Tomorrow. Will be back two days later. Net practice!” Rahul painted an irk across his chin. He wanted to stay few more days but his state game was coming up and this was very important for his college selection.

“Lets make a move then…” Maya announced and we all set foot on heading home.

The sun was begging to sleep but the twilight kept him awake. The raw streets weren’t raw anymore. They had turned cemented few years back and thus the dirty red soil doesn’t annoy humans. Few things are better when they are changed.

--

Another day ended without Gin. I threw my bag back as soon I entered my room and plopped down in sofa. I was tired. Physically and spiritually. Al alone, striving to survive hopeless days!

I popped off to the bathroom and had a proper bath, not because I needed any but rather than wasting time in futile thoughts, I decided to exhaust Earth’s one of the most important resource, water!

Things have become weirder than earlier. There’s no clear status. Maya keeps giving me hope but I’m loosing it contrarily. Gin isn’t the kind of a girl who would follow five stages of emotions before confronting her feelings. She is more like a tigress who would pounce on it prey if it invaded her territory.

There was a spark of jealousy that blinded Gini temporarily because she had never thought I would drift away. That’s it. She’d forget it like good old fairy tales. Besides she has Vivek.

And I don’t even have my magazine touche!

I typed few words while staring blankly at the screen and then deleted it.

Hey Gin, hope you’re doing fine. Match this weekend. Want to go together?

Deleted

Heavy rain forecast. Wanna make some paper boats?

Deleted

I love you. If you ever develop that sort of feeling for me, know that the door is always open.

Deleted.

What’s so great about Vivek anyway? I bet he has four inch.

Deleted

Purple or Green?

Sent.

****

Thank you for reading.
Please vote, share and comment.