Chapter seventeen

We all gathered in the first room of the parlour after dry heated ourselves from the heater installed in the corner by the entrance.

“Let’s sit here" Rahul installed himself between Vivek and Maya with me next to Gini. Strangely enough, Vivek didn’t worry much about me sitting next to his girlfriend. He is one heck of a confident asshole! Or may be I don’t appear a threaten to him. Maya needs to work real hard on that part of mine.

“I would have ended up in one of these corners…” Rahul lamented noticing few curling up couples who were sitting in the corners all soaked in rain.

“….if you had a girlfriend. Come on Rahul, the ship sailed long time ago and the passengers are tired of hearing this”. Maya once again cut him out.

“Sorry, mother. I’ll stop bringing that up” Rahul folded his hands to Maya.

“Not every couple sits in the corner though.” Vivek gave few slick strokes on Gini’s open palms.

Bastard! Keep your ogle in private! Showing physical intimacy to a minor in public can have you arrested, you buffon!

Peace to my soul, Gini didn’t entertain him. She was rather occupied in shooting an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light at us, at Maya particularly. Vivek’s sudden overflowing affection distracted her and she angrily spared him few more blank glares.

Maya gave me a sharp jab under the open table hinting to ignore the boiling temperature between them.

She cleared her throat and leaned her head towards me, “do you like Butter Pecan”?

“No, he likes chocolate and vanilla” Gini announced out of nowhere and pretended to be engaged in menu!

Deeply occupied on the menu? No!
Avoiding a direct eye contact? Probably, yes!

If I hadn’t known her well, I won’t be able to detect the alarming design clearly drawn on her face. What for? Was she uncomfortable sitting between me and her current boyfriend? Or she didn’t like me being with Maya. I scoffed inwardly at the second thought of it. As in!!!

There was no way she’d abruptly fall in love with me. She is not that dumb and I was definitely not Prince Aladdin!

“ People change, dear!” Maya gathered a pool of unreadable smile in the corner of her face without withdrawing her gaze from me, “Try Butter pecan, Naman. You would love it”

“Butter pecan today” I drummed on the table and looked at Rahul, “What do you wanna have”?

“Since I have no one to decide the flavour for me, I will go with Butter pecan too.” Rahul teased Maya with his pout and offered the menu to Vivek which he dragged over to Gin and said, “Choose one for me”.

There was something terribly wrong today with this Ninja Turtle. He was trying to attract Gini's attention with every mini efforts he could afford while sitting across me but to his poor luck, she wasn’t even bothered.

Is she really jealous as Maya asserted earlier? Was it this simple? Maya and I had barely played our cards but she surely seemed uncomfortable.

“Okey dokey” Gin exclaimed without averting a glare and engaged in searching for the right flavour that she wanted to offer to him.

“So, how long have you two known each other”? Mr. Vivek, the athlete guy unable to earn a wisp of affection from his girl placed the first question of on the table.

“Not long. Just a couple of days” I answered, scooting my eyes away from him to avoid further questions.

“But you guys look quite compatible already” He added. There was a smudge of taunt in his tone.

I know what he was trying to do. He was digging for some information to find the missing puzzle. Because Maya and I came out in less than week of Vivek and Gini’s relationship.

He has smelt the fish.

“Oh stop it, Vivek, I’m shy already. Let’s just say we have started knowing each other and I’m liking it” Maya cocooned herself on my shoulder.

“Of, course you are. You have a long time crush on Tintin.” Coming from my right, Gini sounded rattled. No jealousy was yet detectable but her discomforts was making it way to me.

Wait, a minute! She knew! Of course, she would! Maya is in the same class!

Fuck me!

Now how do I react to this? Should I leave my jaws dropped in surprise on the face of Maya or cutting to the chase, I fixed the situation by questioning Gini instead about how long she had known this?

“Who is crushing who? Sorry what did I miss” Rahul just came into sense about how his friend, Naman had become a sandwiched.

“Apparently, Maya had a long time crush on Naman and Naman hit it off by the first chance he got. Are you really that desperate, Naman?” Vivek was smoothly hitting my thin patience.

“I’m sure Naman knows it. Gini doesn’t hide anything from him.” Rahul’s undisputed command on jinxing any situation that vivek puts me in is unmatched. He put an immediate silencer on Vivek’s mouth and hit the nail on the head, Vivek’s head.

“Gini hadn’t told me anything”. I sent the ball in his court.

“She must have forgotten about me. Because there are few more girls who are chasing Naman” Maya squeezed my wrist.

“Gini hasn’t told me about anyone” I let out a shocking voice.

“Really? That’s strange! But thank you Gini, I wouldn’t have gotten a chance to meet him if you hadn’t kept the secret with you”. Maya leaned to meet Gini’s eyes.

Gini’s face had become a pool of red bubbles. Few moments back, she was practicing shooting arrows at Maya. Soon enough she realised that they are boomerang, not arrows. She was cut, slayed and bleeding.

I’m sorry Gini for being an asshole but this accusations weren’t held against you but the guy who was projecting his ravenous side on you. He has to stop. I’m here to stop him.

The waitress cut us by serving us delicious looking ice cream on our table. We all handled our mini spoons and dug in.

I was about to offer Gini as it had been our ‘thing’ to mix our flavour together but Vivek initiated, “Gini, let’s mix our flavours”.

Gini wasn’t expecting the offer coming from Vivek. Her face became blank as she laid her eyes at me for a brief moment. I was pretty sure she was too poked by our childhood memories. No matter how far we have gone but the wound of separation was still fresh and screaming aloud. I was instantly stung by sadness.

“Lets mix ours, Naman” Maya pushed my arm and tried to put my scattered pieces together.

“Sure..” I semi smiled.

Maya broadly smiled.

Vivek oddly smiled.

Gini didn’t smile.

And Rahul yelled, “Oh my balls are crushing in this damp pants”!

Our eyes shifted from ice cream balls to Rahul's balls. Maya dropped Butter pecan on the table and cracked up in laughter.

“Fuck, man, they really hurt”! Rahul cringed in pain as he stood up and shuffled his pant to let the air pass through and sighed a heavy relief!

We all laughed at the showcase he was exhibiting. I drummed my hands on table while Maya was rolling her head on my shoulder. And amidst the hoot of laughter, I heard a soft sniffle that came through right.

Is Gini crying?

***