Chapter thirteen

When we arrived at Gini’s school, as expected, Vivek was discovered to gesturing some weird hand movements like those mute anchors do on TV and little Gini was drooling at the sight of it.

What’s worse? Vivek was enjoying every bit of attention that she was delivering.

The sight made my feet cold. If I wasn’t surrounded by hundreds of students here, I would have cried like a baby.

Boys don’t cry. Do they?

“They have gotten closer, you think they are on second base already?”  Rahul measured them from head to toe and commented at their geographical closeness.

“They have been together for barely a week. What second base! Besides, Viv is a long race runner. He won’t make a move until he secured his area.” I educated him with my zero knowledge over what they call LOVE.

“Girls like goodie boys… he will make it obvious for her to fall for more.” Rahul trailed his fingers over his jaws.

“Dude I’m not feeling good about this. Let’s call off the meeting. I will apologise to Maya. Let’s get out of here..” I averted my face at Rahul but his twinkling eyes were already fixed at the other side at a girl.

As soon as I turned my face that way, I recognised the girl by the look she had on her face. It must be Maya, the Jesus!

“There is something interesting about her I still can’t remember…damn my memory..” Rahul smacked his own head! About time!

“Hi, Rahul” She quickened her pootle towards us.

From a glance, she looked really pretty with her long ponytailed black hair, semi- black complexion, long sharp nose, thin lips and a pair of the lotus like eyes.

Although defining beauty wasn’t my area of business but her eyes didn’t skip to claim my attention. They were pleasingly beautiful and illegally desirable.

Guilt swam across my face and I looked at my feet to avoid any embarrassing eye contact. I felt terribly uncomfortable out of my own habit.

“Am I that ugly that you kept your eyes off me”? Maya said with a kiddish grin which sounded quite funny to me because she was fully aware of her beauty and worth feasting nature. My fumbling eyes must have given it away.

“I addressed you, Naman.. why are your eyes down?” Maya smiled heavenly as soon as I looked up at her. I was sure she gets bundle of appreciation on daily basis for her looks, let alone her exquisite personality.

“You’re pretty. I’m just not used to admire beauty.” I gave her a clean apologetic look.

“Oh boy, don’t give me this look. I will propose you right away” She smiled more, exposing her pearl beads. She could be a perfect model for a toothpaste advertisement.

All the fears and discomforts that I had harboured for past two days whether to follow Rahul’s plan or sleep on it, had surprisingly vanished. She sure was a smooth talker. Her smile added more to it.

“My name is Naman. I’m…” I started with a formal introduction to which she took me by surprise by wrapping up her arms around me loosely.

What’s on God’s name she was doing in broad day light, right in front of Gini who was then glaring at me, confused with her jaws open.

“Who doesn’t know you? You outsmarted every kid in the district. Your reputation proceeds, Sir! Not to mention, the angel like face with boxy smile… how do you keep girls away?” She knitted a garland of admiration with her friendly vocal like a pro!