Chapter 58: Prom 1985

Prom day is a great day. Everyone loves the fact it's a half day. But the Cobra's questioned the authenticity of the half day. "I don't understand. Why does it take practically half a day for chicks to get ready? Hot chicks are hot.It should take one hour, at most," said Johnny. He just doesn't get it.

Bobby went along with his friend. Mary takes forever..."But at least we get out school early!" They all high-fived in agreement. "So, we're all meeting at Chez Lou's for pre-prom dinner right? You made the reservations, didn't you Dutch?" Bobby asked his friend.

Looking at Bobby, he responded "Of course. I made them week's ago. I told you, I've got this."

"Let's hope so man. Cause if it turns out like that one time we went on the road trip to Vegas, then this will suck too," stated Jimmy with a concerned voice.

Dutch shook his head at his friend. "There you go again, talking about old stuff. Sometimes man you're just like a plunger. Always bringing up old crap. And I found us a motel room, didn't I?" He looked at Jimmy, who narrowed his eyes at him. "Anyways, yes. I made the reservations and we have to be there at seven o'clock. Tommy, did you get the flowers for Lori?" Dutch questioned him.

"Oh crap! I forgot. I guess I need to go do that now," remarked an discomforted Tommy. He can't believe he forgot. He's been so forgetful lately. Turning to Bobby, he asked "What time are you picking up Mary? And are you going to the main house, or the guest cottage?"

Looking at Tommy, Bobby told him what Mary said. "Mary told me to get her from the guest cottage. I would think that's where Lori is too. Since it takes about twenty-five minutes to her house, and back, I advised her to be ready to go at six forty. That way I know she'll be ready on time." Sometimes it takes her forever to get ready. It can be frustrating waiting on a woman. Thinking of what she says "I'd rather be late than ugly", always puts a smile on his face.

Tommy looked thoughtful and nodded. "OK, well I'm off then. I have to get flowers and pick up my tux from the dry cleaners." He said bye to his friends and drove off, in his car. 

The other guys did the same. They all said bye and went home, except Johnny. He also had forgotten to get flowers.

Meanwhile, Mary was at home eating lunch when Lori barged into the guest cottage. She looked frantic. "What's wrong?" Mary asked her sister. She had no idea what the problem could be.

"So, here's the thing. I'm going to prom with Tommy. What was I thinking? He's my friend. You know, going to things like dances with a friend seem to always ruin friendships. I think I'll just call him, tell him I'm sick, and can't go." Lori has been worried about this ever since yesterday afternoon. That was when she witnessed the friendship breakdown of Carol and Jay. They're two of her friends in art class. Those two have been friends since fifth grade. Prom brought out the worst in them.

Mary handed Lori a bar of chocolate. "Eat this. It'll make you feel better." She has chocolate stashed in the couch cushions, and other hidden places, for purposes such as this. "Now as for Tommy, you cannot do that to him. You don't want to be known as "one of those girls", who breaks dates at the last minute. Besides he'll be dateless if you don't go, and that would be sad. There's nothing worse than a sad Tommy. And you would be sad too, cause you'll be missing your Senior prom." Mary gave her a hug.

After Lori had eaten a pice of the chocolate, she said "It's just... I kind of like him, as more than a friend. I don't want Prom to ruin things, and then our friendship be awkward after." She did like Tommy.