Chapter 54: Heavy Is The Crown

As the week carried on, Mary continued with her kingdom building. Thanks to the wonder styling of Dan, she's even gained a few extra subjects. Still, like all queen's they run the risk of alienating even the most loyal of friends.

It all started Tuesday afternoon. Mary approached Fern's office, at five o'clock, as requested. Midge, Fern's secretary, ushered her inside. Fern, himself, had been out of office all day at a flower expo. Office duties landed on Dan's plate. 

He greeted Mary with a kiss to each cheek. Mary greeted him with a happy "Bonjour". She noticed his surprised face. "You speak the French language?" he asked her.

Mary answered him with a proud voice. "We! I took Honors French last year. I can speak it fluently."

"Wonderful! I shall have you over for le goûter soon. We will converse in only French," he told her. Mary grinned from ear to ear. She converses with Jimmy in French, but it would be nice to have another person as well. Dan grabbed his keys and told her to follow him. He led them out to the front of the building, where a sleek black town car awaited. 

Mary is not a novice to town cars. Her aunts use them frequently. It always makes her feel chichi and way too rich, riding in one. But this town car is different. This one makes her feel like she belongs.  

Ever since the fainting spell, she's fallen apart inside. Like always, she's kept it to herself. Why let someone see all the messy, dirty parts of you? Why let someone see your darkest fears? Lately, cracks in that plan have been showing. The fear of fainting again, and the fear of her own  insecurities have been reigning supreme. They have sought to strip her of her integrity and worth. Besides keeping this locked tightly to herself, she's left it alone and ignored it. Instead, she's fed this beast with material things, and things that don't matter.

 The town car took them to Rodeo Drive, in Beverly Hills. Admittedly, Mary could shop at this famous fashion destination anytime she desired. She's always chosen not to. The stores are very posh and very ritzy. Her taste is more The Shoppes at Palisade. It's more practical and normal.

The first destination is Lanvin. There they selected pretty dresses and skirted suits, for her interview attire. The fabrics and prints are chic, stylish, and decadent. Mary loved Lanvin. It's one of her favorite design houses, and it's very pricey. She wore it, every now and then. 

After Lanvin came YSL, for the swimsuit. Each contestant is required to have a single color, pastel swimsuit. Dan says YSL is perfect for the cut and fit of their swimwear, but also the color. They chose a one shoulder, purple pastel suit. It has a flattering ruched waist with gathered ties at each hip. The swimsuit also features a thin halter neck, which ties around the back of the neck. Mary agrees, YSL is everything Dan said it would be. 

From there the duo entered Christian Dior, for an evening gown to die for. They chose several to try. The first a red, strapless, taffeta ball gown while lovely just isn't pageant perfect. It's prom perfect. This one is a no, for the purpose of which they came to shop for. However, Mary held on to it for prom. 

The second dress is also strapless, but so spectacular it made Mary swoon. The dress itself is a cream color. Nothing special, except for a few details. It's crafted from diaphanous layers of silk tulle, with glittering multicolored sequins embroidered onto curved skirt flounces. The flounces are meant to evoke the feathers of a peacock. The top of the dress is left a solid cream, but embroidered with cream and white sequins. The dress even has a name. It's name is Junon, in honor of the Roman goddess of marriage and fertility.