Chapter 8: It's Hot Out Here

As Dutch and Mary were starting their walk to the gym, her thoughts were suddenly all over the place. What did he mean by I'm wrong. Is Bobby interested in me? Maybe I should just ask Dutch about this. Yup, that's what I'm going to do...  

She gathered her courage, but at the last moment chickened out. Instead she said, "Gosh, it's hot out today," fanning herself with her hand. It was unseasonably hot weather that day.

 "Yeah it is. There's your boy Mary," Dutch said head nodding to the left. She turned to look. Sure enough there was Bobby walking with Jimmy.  He's looks so good in his blue sweater.   "That is not what I implied," she responded smoothly. "Sure Mary, sure" a sly grinning Dutch said.

Looking back at Bobby, Mary noticed the two friends had spied Johnny (with Tommy in tow). Tommy pointed at Dutch, and they all headed his way.

"Oh no, they're coming our way. I have berry stains all over my shirt. Can't you shew them away or something," Mary pleaded. "Be cool Mary," Dutch assured.

 "How can I when I'm uncomfortable and hot," she said, "No! Do not comment.  I set myself up for that." "You did but I'll let it  slide this one time," he responded smirking.

Tommy walked up first, followed closely by Bobby. A grinning Tommy spoke, "Hey Dutch... and Mary. The school's still standing. So you didn't burn it down I see." "Ha, ha, ha you're so funny," she acknowledged, giving Bobby a shy smile. Bobby smiled back, but couldn't help wonder why Mary was walking with Dutch. It was a very odd combination.

"Hey man where've you been? We waited outside of Shop for you," Johnny inquired. "What?Didn't you hear? I'm not in that class anymore," Dutch stated. "Why? You love Shop," a stunned Johnny exclaimed. "Well, it's the year of new things right? So, I'm trying something new myself," Dutch said his attention focused on a girl across the way. 

"Oh God, what have you done now?" Bobby asked curiously. "You said you were going to try to not get into trouble this year," he continued. "Chill out Mom. I'm not going to," Dutch promised. Bobby sent him a scornful look. I don't know why I even bother sometimes he thought.

"If you're not in Shop anymore, then what class are you in exactly?" questioned Jimmy. "Hold on to your boxers boys! I'm taking Home Ec with Mary here," Dutch shared while throwing an arm around Mary's shoulders. She wrinkled her nose and flashed an effervescent smile. She continued to walk, listen, and keep silent. Which is usually the safest thing to do around Dutch. You never know what he may say. He's a total wild card.

Bobby, who was walking on Mary's other side, whispered  to her "I apologize in advance for anything he may do." She squinted at him, "Thanks but he isn't so bad." Bobby wondered at that. No one, especially girls, ever said Dutch "wasn't so bad".

Cries of "You're kidding" and "No flippin' way" were heard."Why?" the confused Cobra's asked. 

Mary stepped forward and quoted Dutch. "Because... and I quote... it has 2 of his  favorite things... food and chicks." "Not in that order," Dutch replied shaking his finger at her. "Excuse me. My bad... chicks and food," Mary corrected. "Now you got it," he said with a grin so big it looked like the Cheshire Cat. 

Even though Tommy was shaking with laughter, he managed to get out "Now the school really will burn down." "Naw man! But that might happen with her," Dutch said pointing at Mary, "Between us her cooking skills were very jarring." Mary stuck her tongue out at him.

"So what did you actually do in Home Ec today?" Bobby asked while moving a little closer to Mary's side. "Oh, we canned," Dutch said nonchalantly. "No!!" Mary interrupted holding a hand up. "No one say a word. Not a single word. He wants to use another lame canning  pun," she quickly warned. 

"Mary you protest because you're just a little jelly," Dutch taunted. At that remark, she reached over and pinched him on the arm. The boys laughed loudly.  "Dang woman! Retract your claws," he said rubbing his arm. 

Jimmy looked at Mary, "So is that why you're wearing your food on your shirt?" "Yes it is! Mary here, went to war with her blackberries. She beat them so badly, I had flashbacks of Johnny beating Danielle's face in," exclaimed Dutch. A satisfied Johnny brushed his hair out of his eyes.

Mary ducked her head in embarrassment. "No. It's a new look called ode de blackberry," she mumbled. "Good one Mary," said a snickering Tommy. Bobby stroked Mary's arm reassuringly with his finger. Mary glanced at him through her lashes. He caught her soft eyes and sent her a look of longing. 

Between the heat of the afternoon sun, the teasing, and Bobby's arm rub Mary's temperature skyrocketed. She grabbed a folded paper from her book, and started fanning herself with it. "Is it  just me or am I the only hot one out here?" questioned a heated Mary. 

"Yes. You are hot," Bobby unexpectedly said. The boys stopped and stared at him in disbelief. They were stunned he said that... out loud.

Bobby tried to recover, but the words fell from his mouth like vomit. "Uhh... Umm... I mean... it's hot outside and you're looking kind of flushed... and your hair is... rather poofy." No longer staring, his friends moved to gaping mouths. Except Tommy, he was trying very hard to not laugh out loud.

At the same moment, both Mary and Bobby had competing thoughts.

Bobby you idiot! What are you saying? Just stop talking... Stop talking! 

Oh my gosh! He thinks I look a sweaty mess with terrible hair. Not to mention I have stains on my shirt. May the ground swallow me up now please, cause I really want to cry. 

Seeing Bobby's nervous tell (rubbing the back of his neck), Johnny spoke "You know I'm feeling very hot myself." And with that, he took his shirt off and rubbed his chest with it. Catching on, Dutch stated "You know between standing over the burners in Home Ec and this scorching sun, I'm very hot too." He also took his shirt off.

 As they were doing that, Tommy quickly ran his fingers through his hair making it look messy. "And my hair is just a mess from this moisture in the air," he said motioning with his hand. They then turned to Jimmy. He held his hands up, "Yeah. I got nothing". 

Blinking back tears, Mary swiveled her head in many directions scanning the area. "Oh look!" she pointed. "There's Kara. I need to speak with her about Civinette club. See you guys later," she said running off.

As soon as she was gone, Bobby hung his head in shame. Johnny hit him on the back of the neck. "What the hell man," he said looking at him. "It was  going so well until you started talking about sweat and bad hair," Dutch responded shaking his head. "You should've seen your face," Tommy laughed pointing. 

"I know! I'm an idiot," Bobby replied hiding his face with his hands. "It's OK though. Not everyone can be as smooth as Dr. Love," Dutch stated proudly. The guys groaned. 

"You may groan, but has Dr. Love ever steered any of you wrong?" asked a knowing Dutch. Jimmy immediately started talking, "There was that one time..." Dutch interrupted him. "Look man, I told you not to ask that chick out. Something was off about her. It's not my fault you ended up drunk with shaved eyebrows. Let's not bring up old business," he said waving Jimmy off. "Bite me," Jimmy said with a moan of protest.

Dutch turned to Bobby and started walking to the  gym entrance. "Now you... Did  you screw up? Yes. Did you crash and burn. For sure." "Are you trying to make me feel better? Because you aren't," stated an agitated Bobby. 

"Don't have a cow man. I'm trying to tell you that it will be OK. You haven't screwed up so bad that it can't be saved," Dutch stated smoothly. As they reached the locker room, he continued his pep talk. "We're here at P.E. Mary's at P.E. this period too. You take your shirt off, run around in your short shorts, look cute, and acknowledge her somehow. P.E. will be fine. But tonight... Oh tonight my friend, that's the money moment." 

While changing out for P.E, the snakes schemed and plotted.