Chapter 27: Danger Zones

To say Bobby was in trouble, would be putting it mildly. Mary was so put out with him. Now she had to wash silly string out of her hair. This was something she hadn't expected to have to do. It threw her afternoon time schedule way off. Everything had been accounted for: eat dinner, make sure everything is gathered for her costume, put on said costume, help her friends with theirs, then head to the dance. 

Boys and their toys...

She sat with her arms crossed, stewing the whole ride to her house. Bobby tried to smooth things over by saying things like "You look pretty in pink" or "We can still make out". Wrong thing to say, because it only made her glare daggers at him. He was headed straight for the danger zone.

At one point she angled herself in his direction and said "Just wait. You'll get yours Brown." That did not make him nervous at all, because sweet Mary wouldn't even hurt a fly. Until she added "And I'll get Ashley and Gwen to help me." Now he was worried.

Having arrived at the guest cottage, Mary snatched her bags and headed inside. She didn't even wait for her boyfriend. Bobby had a sullen frown on his face as he gathered his costume. Walking into the cottage, he mumbled to himself "women". He lived in a house full of them and he'll still never understand them. 

Inside the oversized guest cottage, Mary opened windows from behind yards of long silk curtains. She unlatched the French doors and propped them open with door stops. She enjoyed feeling the ocean breeze dart across her skin. As she walked across the living room to the master suite, on the left side of the house, she gave her boyfriend a particular look. It made him feel gloomy inside. So much so that he began massaging the back of his neck.

Hearing the gentle splashes of a shower, Bobby hoped she'd cool down. Left alone, he grabbed a beer from the fridge (which she now kept in stock for him and the guys) and turned the television on. Michael Jackson's Thriller seemed to be playing on repeat on MTV. He skipped that and settled on the scary movie Halloween. Bobby sunk down into the cushions of the soft, luxurious sofa.

He must have dosed off, because the next thing he knew Mary was sitting beside him. Her silky hair was clean and dry, and she was wearing jean shorts with a red tank top. She had a book open and a highlighter out. She looked cute and comfortable as the wind ruffled her pages.

"You still mad?" he asked with caution. 

She gave him an angelic smile. "Nope, not anymore." She went back to highlighting in her book.

His chest felt lighter. Then he had a great idea. It made his pulse climb just thinking of it. He grabbed the highlighter from her fingers. It forced Mary to give him her attention. She gazed at him with a deep warmth in her eyes. The likes of which he had never encountered before. It made his breathing heavy. He managed to get out the words, "No one's here yet. We could make out, like you suggested earlier before I stringed you."

Lacing her fingers with his, she captivated him with her smile. He felt lost in the beauty of it and in her. Mary felt the same way about him. "We could," she stated. His heart picked up speed. "But I heard a car drive up." 

And then his face fell. He wrinkled his nose and grumbled, "There goes that idea out the window." 

She still pulled him in for a short, tender kiss. "Don't be a sour snake." She planted butterfly kisses across his face. She stopped at his mouth. Her lips caressed his softly, and delicately, just long enough he could inhale her minty breath and feel the warmth of her skin. The corners of his mouth slid upwards and his eyes sparkled with softness. They were both content.