Chapter 12: The Ice Queen Cometh

It was the week before the eighth grade Valentine's Day Dance. The "Cupid's Crush Ball" they call it. All the girls have been obsessed with Candy Grams, and everything to do with Valentine's. Love is in the air. It is as overwhelming as a tsunami. 

Mary and Lori were sitting with their friends (Amy and Micah) in the cafeteria. They were discussing the Valentine's mania going on around them. "It's so ridiculous. I mean all the goo-goo eyes and hearts and flowers  and kisses," an annoyed Amy said. 

Then Micah chimed in. "Yes! Gag me with a spoon." 

"It's totally cheesy," Mary replied. She shook her head in derision. 

But the soft voice of Lori, told them "It's not that bad you guys."

Mary cannot believe her sister said that. "Lori you have got to be kidding. Look around us. All of the girls are either counting their Candy Grams, or playing footsie with any guy who looks at them," she explained. 

"True. So how many Grams did you get today?" asked Lori. She caught Mary in her own words. 

Biting her lip and looking down at her pitiful pile (if it could even be called a pile as it's more of a pair) she announced "Two and they're both from Aunt Pitty and Kitty." Her face fell into a grimace.

Micah felt sorry for her friend. So she told her "It's OK. Boys are stupid. They don't know what they're missing out on." 

Amy gave her a hug, and Lori patted her back in a calming manner. Trying to sound cheerful, Mary commented "Thanks guys. You're the best."

As lunch ended she went to retrieve her history book, from her locker. It was then she noticed a piece of paper fluttering down to the ground. Bending over to pick it up, she began to read it...                          

Roses are red. Violets are blue. Candy Grams may be sweet. But poems are better for you. 

-XOXO Anonymous 

Even though she was seriously excited, Mary put the letter away and tried not to think about it anymore. I mean who would send her a letter anyway? She was too brainy for her own good, she wore glasses, and to top it off she wasn't a snappy dresser. In other words, she's a total nerd. 

But as the week, and the days, rolled on leading up to the dance more poems arrived. Every day Mary found a new poem mysteriously placed in her locker. The poems arrived at different times too. So, there was no way of knowing who sent them. 

These mysterious notes were the most exciting thing that has happened to her, to date. Her friends were super thrilled about this. "I bet it's Joshua.G. He's always finding ways to speak with you," noted a babbling Amy. 

Dismissing Amy's comment, Mary replied "No, he just needs help with science."

"Or it could be Mark Morris," Micah said with a hopeful tone. 

She brushed that comment off too. "Definitely not. Mark doesn't even know I'm alive." Although she can't help feeling a bit wishful.

Soon it was the day before the dance. As the final bell sounded, Mary strolled to her locker to put her books away. She was a tad letdown, since she hadn't received a poem that day. However as she rounded the corner, she stopped short and pressed her hand to chest. She can't believe her eyes! Tied on the outside of her locker, is a single red rose with a heart balloon attached to it.