Chapter 7: Home Ec Surprises

Mary walked into the Home Ec classroom and looked around

Mary walked into the Home Ec classroom and looked around. Stations were set up everywhere with burners, jars, and various cooking utensils. "Mary dear, it's so good to see you in my class," Ms. Careen acknowledged her. 

She smiled at her teacher. "Ms. Careen it's so good to see you too. I have to say I'm excited, but nervous to take this class," Mary admitted. Her cooking anxiety is taking hold of her.

"Why is that dear?" Ms. Careen asked.

 With trepidation, she responded. "Well, the truth is I'm not the greatest cook." Her friends are right. She burns water, which is really sad.

 "I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. Plus, the cooking part of Home Ec is only half a semester," Ms. Careen encouraged. She's terrible cooking skills over the years. How bad can it be?

This is news to her. "I didn't know that. What's the second semester?" Mary wondered. She hopes it's not something like home care and maintenance. That would just stink.

"Sewing," Ms. Careen said excitedly. 

Oh my stars. She's decent at sewing but not the greatest. "Oh great," she said with  false sincerity. Then she looked around the room for "her" spot. She usually enjoys sitting up front, and answering teacher questions. However for Home, Ec she decided to claim a station as close to back as possible. That way no one would be able to see her mess and inedible food. 

As she was arranging her area, other girls started filing into the room. "Hi Mary," several of them addressed. With kindness, she smiled back.

"Alright class we will begin. Let me just say that we are going to have so much fun this year in Home Economics," began Ms. Careen. She turned pages in a book. Just as she was about to start speaking again, the door flung open. In walked the last person Mary thought she would ever see in this class... Dutch. 

With an amused expression, Ms. Careen greeted him. "Oh my, isn't this a surprise." Nearly all of the girls in the room simpered and giggled. Mary did not. She could care less about Dutch joining Home Ec. As long as he doesn't bother her, then everything will be fine.

"I know I hardly believe it myself, but here I am ladies," Dutch said grinning wildly. He handed their teacher his papers, from the office. 

Ms. Careen looked them over and placed them on her desk. Then she gestured with her hand to the stations around the room. "Well take a seat, at any open station, Mr. Dutch. And I will continue addressing the class." She beamed at him and Dutch ate it up. 

As he maneuvered around the room, giving out winks and nods, Mary huffed out a breath. There just has to be an angle here. Why on earth would one of the Cobra Kai, one of the popular guys, take Home Ec? It just doesn't make sense. Not one little bit. It's like people who say if you shoot for the moon you'll land among the stars. That is totally false because the nearest star is ninety-three million miles away. Something smells fishy here and she wants to know why.