Chapter 57: Dresses Galore

The week of prom, made for some interesting couples. All around the Senior class the couples were clear. There were couples who broke up, but still decided to go to prom together (because who needs the drama of finding a date). There were couples who want to break up, but are only staying together because of prom. Which means after prom they'll be living in Heartbreak Hotel.

Then there's the friend groups. Friends who are secretly in love with each other, as well as the purely platonic friends, going to prom with each other. And finally there's the "we're so in love I can't even stand it" couples.

Bobby and Mary's friends were not immune to any of those. Tuesday, three days before prom, Lori sat with her friends at lunch looking depressed. "What's wrong with you? You've been weird all day" asked a concerned Gwen. She was worried about her friend, since she doesn't have her usual encouraging face.

Sighing with frustration, Lori announced. "Mark and I broke up. We decided it's for the best, but now I'm dateless for the prom." Her face showed her annoyance. She had been thinking she wouldn't even go. She'd stay home and watch TV.

Tommy's ears perked up and he tried to hide his happiness. "If you need a date, I'll go with you." He hoped she'd do it. He's wanted to ask her out since the night of the Halloween dance. However, he's let his nerves get the better of him.

She knew he didn't have a date either. So, Lori said "Sure, why not. At least we won't be dateless." Now, she needs to buy a dress. Like her friends, she's been putting off dress shopping.

Inside Tommy did a fist pump and a dance of joy. He tried to be cool, but his words came out weird. "Great. I'll coordinate colors with you," he mentioned. What the heck was that? Coordinate colors... Geesh. He saw Dutch give him a wink of approval. But Johnny shook his head, at his colors comment.

Mary wanted to say something about the two of them. They could be so cute if they actually dated! She started talking. "It's about time that—-" 

If he didn't take action, Bobby knew she was going to give Tommy away. So, he kissed her to keep her quiet. It's a win-win. Tommy's unrequited love wasn't blown, and he got to kiss his girl. 

"PDA alert. PDA alert. Get a room!" shouted Gwen. Jimmy gave her a taste of her own medicine. He kissed her too.

Rolling his eyes, Dutch spoke. "Alright, enough of this shi— show of affection." Ash has been trying to get him to take her ballroom dancing. Every time he curses, or uses colorful language, he has to put twenty dollars into the dancing fund. The fund has grown to one hundred dollars. He refuses to add any more money to the dumb dance fund.

Changing the topic from prom, Ashley spoke. "First of all, good save Hun." She patted Dutch's leg. "Now what's everyone doing for Spring Break? I'll start. I'm staying home and doing nothing, except having a spa day." 

With an excited voice, Jimmy stated "Going with my family to Panama City Beach, Florida. Johnny's coming with me." They gave each other a high-five.

Tommy began to pout. "Why does he get to go?" 

Looking at his friend with a look that said are you serious, Jimmy reminded Tommy. "Because you, Dutch, and Bobby have other plans."

"Oh yeah... I forgot about that," Tommy stated. " I'm going to visit my brother. I'll be staying at his frat house a few days. I want to see if Stanford is the right college for me," Tommy explained. He felt apprehensive about  this, as Corey isn't the most reliable person. He also likes to pull pranks. Tommy decided he's going to wear all his underwear to bed and hide his clothes. He'd hate to be caught without them. Besides you can't be too careful with frat boys.