Chapter 45: A New Year

New Year's Eve: the seventh day after Christmas, the end of the year, a non-stop party. In the spirit of party and new beginnings, the girls have planned a special outing. It should be fun, festive, and fabulous! 

As soon as the guys drove up to the guest cottage, the girls were waiting outside with gear for the day and blindfolds. Each guy is handed a silk scarf to tie around the eyes. While his wasn't in use, Johnny tied it around his head like his normal headband. 

Lori handed out breakfast muffins, bacon-egg-cheese croissants, and mini bottles of orange juice. Johnny depleted half the quantity of oj, since he loves the stuff. He received arched brows and piercing stares. "What? It's good and lessens your chance of getting sick," he responded with a sure tone.

Afterwards, they put their blindfolds on, and the girls helped them get into the vehicles. Ashley is driving Dutch's SUV. When he handed her the keys he stated loudly "I'm emotionally attached it. So, don't  scuff it up." His body felt heavy from the glare she sent him. Johnny and Gemma are riding with them. Gwen is driving her Mercedes. She's carrying Lori, Jimmy, and Tommy. Which leaves Mary driving Bobby's Corvette.

Once Mary helped Bobby into the car, she started it and waited. "I put your orange juice in the cup holder. Did you bring extra socks like I reminded you, as well as a change of clothes?" She turned the radio station to something pop. Hard rock is not her thing. She found one where Walk Like An Egyptian came on. Awesome! 

"I did. They're in the back. You and your pop music. What is it you say? Barf me out," a blind Bobby said. 

She laughed. "Oh please. I've caught you humming along to Duran Duran. Don't even try to deny it." The cars started moving. Mary stalled to bring up the rear. Although she might be passing her friends, soon. Driving Bobby's Silver Bullet brings out her inner race car driver. 

"So, I'm going to let you cheat. If you want, you can take your blindfold off. It's just us and we're last in line anyway," she told him. 

Bobby is torn. On one hand he wants to be surprised. On the other hand he would love to see Mary's face. Seeing Mary beats being surprised. The blindfold came off. He turned to look at her. "Where are we going?" He made a pouty face with puppy dog eyes. It usually works.

"I may have let you take off the blindfold, but I'm not telling you where we're going. You'll just have to be surprised." Mary reached over and grabbed his hand. "By the way, if we pass any of my friends put the blindfold back on. I don't care for snarky friends today." 

He nodded and reclined his seat. Johnny had stayed over last night, and they stayed up late. He's tired. "Do you care if I take a nap?" She said no. With those words he dozed off, leaving Mary to sing along with the radio.

The drive to their destination is a peaceful one, considering the time of day. The  morning rush traffic has been smooth, but then they were heading in the opposite direction of most of it. That and the fact it's also New Year's Eve. 

Mary parked the car and looked at her fiancé. He slept the whole way. "Bobby," she said. He didn't stir. She poked him in the side and shook him. He opened his eyes, and yawned. Stretching, he asked if they were there yet. "Yes. You slept the whole way. But it's fine, because we're here now!" Eager to get out, she unbuckled her seat belt. As she reached for the door, a strong hand stopped her. 

"Wait. Can I get a kiss before everything gets hectic?" he inquired. She nodded yes. He leaned over and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. He Eskimo kissed her first, before smiling into a warm and affectionate kiss. Afterwards, they exited his car. He took in his surroundings. His eyes lit up like the Fourth of July. "Six Flags Magic Mountain? That's incredible! I haven't been here in ages," he declared to her. The last time he went was the summer of Sophomore year.