Chapter 32: A Hero's Kiss

Mary awoke with a splitting headache and a dry mouth. She also had a very wild memory of herself dancing on top of a table. No! She would never do something like that. Not even when the girls went to Coconut Joe's, for karaoke, and ordered limes and tequila, she still would never have danced on the table.

And how did she end up at the guest house? And how did she end up in bed with her pajamas on? Mary stretched her arm out, to the side. It hit something solid. She turned her head, and let her eyes adjust. Bobby and he's fully clothed ? Why is he here? What's going on? She tried to sit up but felt dizzy.

Instead, she poked him with her finger. He didn't move. She hit him with her hand. He still didn't move. She shook him. It seemed to work because he stirred and said, "Dang, Mom. I put my boxers in the laundry. I swear."  What?! 

"Bobby," she shook him harder. "Bobby!"

He roused from sleep. "Hmm... What? Mary?" 

"Bobby, are you awake?" she asked poking him again.

He sat up and yawned. He turned to look at her."Yeah I'm up. How do you feel?" He caressed her hand in his own.

"I feel like a big truck ran me over. And I'm super confused about some things," she said feeling nauseous.

Bobby reached for the bottle of water, on the nightstand. He handed it to his girlfriend. "I imagine you do. You had a very adventurous night." He chuckled at the memories, especially the one where she threw up on Dutch's shoes. 

She grimaced. "So, my memory is a little sketchy but... I think I danced on top of a table... that really happened didn't it?" Bobby nodded. " Oh no!" she quietly stated. Her head hurt. Her muscles hurt. And now she wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out.

Bobby saw Mary try to turn away from him.  He refused to allow her to feel embarrassed or ashamed. She had no idea those brownies had drugs added in. So, he grabbed her and gently pulled her closer to him. 

She hid her face. He began stroking her hair. "I was high wasn't I? It was the brownies wasn't it?"  she asked her voice muffled by Bobby's shirt.

He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. "Yeah, you were," he admitted. Then added, "I know it sucks, but you didn't know those brownies were drugged. And it's easier said than done, just try not to beat yourself up over it."

Groaning, she implored him to tell her more. "What else did I do? If I was so high I danced on the table, what else happened?" Move... that's what she had to do. She had to move away to a whole new location, where no one knows who she is. Except she'd miss Bobby, her family, and all her friends. But still...

"Well, you were funny. You told me you loved me. You quoted the lyrics to Say A Little Prayer, to me and the guys. Then you pondered fruit and living rooms, and tried to take your shirt off. You had quite the evening," he told her. He really didn't want to talk about the  other not so funny part, but he needed to know what she remembered.

Mary exhaled with frustration. "I quoted Dionne Warwick? I was obviously out of my mind!" She grew quiet then and sat up. She massaged her forehead. "Bobby, I have this faint memory of being in a room."

He gathered himself together, in case he didn't like what she had to say. "You were. What do you remember about that? Did anything happen?"

She caught his eyes, and said "Well, I remember talking to your sister and going to find pot brownies. Then my hand was grabbed and I was led off somewhere. I think there were two other girls, in compromising positions. I do remember one guy told me 'This is for Ford'. He slapped my cheek and pushed me on the bed. I was too weak, but the other girls started making noise. I think they were high also. Something happened and the guy went away, but he came back and took my shirt off. I think that's where you came in."