Chapter 13: Secrets

The sun was bright in the sky, but it was cloudy in Ashley's mind. She drove to school, in her sporty, black, Datsun 280ZX. She loves this car. It's fast and free, and when she's had a bad day all she has to do is drive down the strip on the beach and everything is alright again. Maybe that's what she'll have to do when Mary realizes what she's done. Her friend had been too enclosed in the bewitching bubble of Bobby Brown to even notice. Which was really odd because Mary notices everything.

As she got out of her car, she caught a glimpse of Gwen and Gemma standing by the Cobra's bikes. They were grinning and laughing along with the boys. Grabbing her bag, Ashley fluffed her hair and brushed the wrinkles out of her dress. She ambled forward toward the group, catching the eyes of a flirtatious Cobra. Dutch is the one boy who drives her to frustration and back, at zero to sixty every day. 

"Hey all," she greeted the group. In an instant her haunches were raised when Dutch came to stand by her.

Having gained her attention, his voice questioned "Ashley?" 

With a cautious smile, and an impassive voice, she said "Yes, Dutch". 

"Have you gotten a parking ticket lately?" he prodded. 

A puzzled reply left her mouth. "No. I have not."

 "Well that's a shame. Cause you have fine written all over you," Dutch exclaimed with eyes dancing. 

The boys bumped his shoulder and smirked. Ashley propped her hands on her hips and gave him a look that said you're so ridiculous. Not to be outdone, she asked "Dutch do you see these trees?" 

He looked around at them, then back to her. "Yeah I'm not blind."

"They're working tirelessly to produce oxygen for you. You owe them an apology," she stated nonchalantly. 

It was the girls time to laugh. "Good one Ash," stated a giggling Gwen. 

A defiant Dutch raised his eyebrows at her, while Jimmy swiveled and kneeled on the ground. "I bow to you." 

Dutch mimicked him and announced "Just for that I'm kicking your ass at practice this afternoon."

 "You wish," a teasing Jimmy challenged.

Looking at the bikes, Ash noticed Bobby's bike was missing. "Where's Bobby? He needs to be here to greet Mary," she asked with concern in her voice. 

"I hope he remembers to bring her, her favorite morning beverage... peppermint tea," remarked Gemma. It's the intent that matters most.

Johnny looked off in the distance, toward a particular group of cheerleaders. Then he gazed at the girls around him. With a brash tone of voice, he reminded them of something. "Girls don't have a cow. We're talking about Bobby Brown. He's the one that tries to set us on the straight and narrow, to see the error of our ways. He'll be here on time with tea in hand."

 "So what you're saying is... Bobby is your mother-hen, like Mary is ours," stated a candid Gwen. They all shared looks of understanding.

Tommy glanced up, over the gathering crowds. "Speaking of... our mother-hen just arrived." They saw Bobby's corvette pull into the lot, along with Lori's BMW. 

Pointing at his watch, Jimmy noted, "But yours still isn't here, as usual." For the life of him, he just does not understand that.

"Don't have a cow Boys," Ashley mocked, "She'll be here... Ten minutes to the bell, give or take." Jimmy shook his head, as he's a stickler for time.