The Weakness In The Word "Friend"

Start from the beginning

The girl couldn't help but turn her head at that. Was it really okay to stay here, given that this place wasn't hers in the first place? She didn't want to intrude.

Letting her voice come out rather quietly, Hikari muttered back to him. "Are you sure? You're not annoyed by it?"

Yet Touya only waved his hand in the air before opening one of his eyes into an annoyed gaze, staring at her with a tired sigh. "That's called bothering, Princess."

Realizing she had done the one thing he told her not to do, Hikari felt herself close her mouth a moment later, bowing her head ever so slightly before speaking in an apologetic manner. "S-Sorry, I won't bother you. Thanks."

Then before he could change his mind about letting her stay, the girl hurried back to her spot over the railing before trying to quiet her sniffling once more in order not to disturb the boy as much as possible.

He was already being so kind, letting a mess like her stay next to him like this. She couldn't mess it up, not when he was the only constant in her life right now besides Riku and his training.

That's why she was up here after all, in order to get away from everything for a little while, why she found herself crying on the rooftop of his building more and more. It seemed comforting to her in some way, like she knew she wouldn't be punished for doing so.

As another tear poured down the side of her face, Hikari took in a shaky breath before hearing Touya call out to her once more, except this time it was a bit quieter, calmer and almost softer in a way.

"Why are you crying?"

Widening her eyes, the girl then turned around only to find that he was staring at her silently, taking in her stance as she felt her cheeks fill with embarrassment. Was he just staring at me, watching me cry? I thought he didn't care. Did I bother him by being too loud again?

She forced her lips to answer a moment later, although the only thing that managed to come out was a confused gasp of air. ""H-Huh?"

The response seemed to annoy the boy, Touya rolling his eyes immediately before turning his voice more abrasive, the softness diminishing ever so slightly as he did so.

"What are you, deaf? I asked, why are you crying?"

And even still, Hikari remained silent, wondering why he was asking such a question. Was he worried about her, or just curious? She didn't know.

Feeling herself take another shaky breath, the girl began to rub her eyes in order to cover her shame for being weak before turning back to the skyline in order not to see his face. "O-Oh, it's nothing. I'm just being a c-crybaby."

The word held a bitter meaning to it, knowing that Riku and his gang liked to use it whenever she cried in front of them, calling her Crybaby Hikari.

They would taunt her and torture her with it until she forced herself to stop her own tears and now whenever she heard it, it make her chest ache with shame.

Touya didn't seem to notice though, his voice rising with slight curiosity, like he was fishing for something in particular. Although, Hikari didn't know what.

"Let me guess, about your deadbeat big brother again?"

At the mention of Keigo, Hikari felt her heart twist with hurt before immediately shaking her head, not wanting those feelings to pile onto her current ones. "N-No, I mean, of course I miss Kei-chan, but that's not why I'm..."

A small silence appeared then, Touya remaining strangely quiet as he waited for her to respond, like he was expecting her to elaborate on that sentence. Perhaps because it was about her brother.