F I F T E E N

(A/N: I'm so sorry for the late update. I also apologize for the long chapter.)
.
.
.

The clock ticks by far too slowly. For someone, somewhere in the world, time might fly by as if it were a bird. One of the beautiful blue ones, with white bellies and black lines tracing its face. Their tails fading from blue to a teal-ish color.

But to Draco, time seems to crawl by. Clawing at Draco's throat, hoping to trap him in madness. Using its elongated fingers to hold Draco's eyelids open and his head up. Punching him in the gut every time he blinked, every time he allowed his thoughts to drift.

Time is what is forcing Draco to stare at Harry's half-dead body.

But time isn't alone.

He has friends with him. Time's friends whisper things in his ear. Telling him how horrible he really is. Telling him how he deserves every bad thing that life has gifted him. They're all laughing at him. Surrounding him. Pulling him under.

Draco nearly jumps to his feet every time Harry stirs. But he doesn't wake. Draco fears that he won't. His head spins with what if's and maybe if I had's and some why did I's.

It's a recipe for breakdown.

It's the directions for travesty.

There's no light in this situation. There's no hope, no horizon to look forward to. There is no silver lining. No christmas presents with red bows placed on top. There is nothing.

***

Draco snaps his head toward the still open bedroom door when the front door crashes open and shut. A flow of voices follows. Two angry, one incredibly obnoxious.

"Where is that boy?" This voice belongs to Vernon.

"I don't know," This one, Petunia.

"I bet he is still in his room, doing nothing."

Dudley.

Draco rolls his eyes, dragging his hand down his face. He looks over at the clock that hung in Harry's room. Five o'clock in the afternoon. He has spent nearly seven hours staring at Harry and feeling sorry.

But not for himself.

He stands up, all the anger in the world absorbing him. He walks out of the room and marches down the stairs. He listens in on the conversation of the two adults. Both of them seem upset.

"That boy is entirely useless!" Vernon whines. "Why do we even keep him around if he can't do anything we ask?"

"Yeah, Mum, why do we keep him around?"

Petunia says nothing.

Draco takes a deep breath before entering the entryway and heading towards the kitchen. He glares at each of them, his fists curled. All three of the Dursley's turn to look at Draco, all of them displaying looks of disgust.

"What do you want?" Vernon hisses, spitting in Draco's direction.

Draco wipes his face off with his hand. "Nothing. Just here to listen in on the absolute stupidity of the words that fall out of your mouths."

Petunia grumbles something under her breath, Draco turns to look at her. "Where is he?"

"He's lying in bed, resting. Thanks to you halfwits, he's in a pain even I cannot imagine, and his body has collapsed because of it."

Petunia yips. "You-"

"I thought you said you hated him," Dudley's voice comes from behind Draco when he speaks. Draco pivots on one foot to face him. "So why are you suddenly acting like you care for him?"