Chapter fifty-three

She walked inside the dark room, her eyes never leaving mine, I didn't even have the strength to glare at her. I just stared, wondering what she is going to do, I never really picked her as the violent type but to hell, she literally raised two mafia dons, who am I kidding? I didn't really know how to react now, so I chose to be annoying and give her a small smile, after all, it might be my last.

"Surprised?" She finally spoke, her cold voice filling my ears.

I chuckled lightly. "Yeah, a little." I replied truthfully.

She cocked her head to the side as she approached me with her arms folded.

"What do you want Grandma?" I manage to ask within harsh breaths.

"Your blood", she spat evilly "an atonement for the death of my son. But you look dead already you know, you should be living well considering the huge reward you were given."

"I get that a lot." I muttered under my breath. What should I do right now? To think of it, this woman had been really kind to me during my stay with her, I could tell she suspected me sometimes but she was really nice and never gave me any trouble, I could see it in her that she loves her grandkids very much, so what now? What does she want from me?

"I want revenge for my son's death." She growled, anger burning through her eyes.

"That's unfair grandma. You know what your son did to me after all, he kidnapped my mother, took my life away from me at a tender age and sold me off to be used as a sex thing. The memories of that place still hunt my mind, but I didn't come to him for revenge, I came to save people from his pyschotic self." I stared her dead in the eyes as I spoke. "Your son chose his path that night, it was a surrender or die."

My head whipped to the door left as she landed a harsh slap to my cheek and I was afraid I might lose some teeth if I kept getting slapped this much.

"Even if you kill me Grandma," I continued "you wouldn't set anything right. I thought you loved your grandchildren, wouldn't you save Stephano from this life of danger and death, or would you continue it as a family trend? You want to lose him the way you lost your son to a cold and ruthless life? For him to become just as hardened and uncaring as his father?"

I saw an emotion flash through her eyes but it was gone as quickly as it came, but I knew what it was, guilt.
"Shut up." She screeched before slapping me again, I sputtered and coughed from the impact.

"You keep running your mouth girl, it won't get you anywhere." I heard her say, before I felt a sharp pain of metal cut right through my arm, I screamed, ad the smell of blood hit my nose, she held the knife in her hand, my blood dripping from it, then she cut me again, on the same arm, I screamed as the pain filled my body and I felt my own warm, blood trickle down my arm and unto the floor. She said something, but I was too busy trying to hold unto my consciousness, I felt dizzy and hot. As my eyes fluttered and my vision become dotted, I saw another feeling flash through her eyes, but I couldn't tell what it was this time, I blacked out.

I opened my eyes again, with the same pain running through me but even worse now and an annoying headache. I felt even weaker than I did before and my throat felt dry, I licked my lips, they were dry and chapped. I looked towards the window, no light came through it, I was in utter darkness and I hated it, my breathing became laboured  now, and I struggled to allow air pass through my nose. I could only guess it was night as I could hear what seemed to be crickets. I hated this, I started to get emotional, sadness engulfed me like a pool of water and I felt tears stream down my eyes. I thought of Stephano, I felt happy that I had at least loved someone in this life, and he loved me back, he showed me that men weren't all wicked creatures that used women for fun, that was my belief since I got into the ring. No man ever looked at me with love, throughout my life, not even my father whose face I could no longer even remember, but I do remember he was abusive to my mother. Men only looked at me with lust, wicked, filthy lust. Stephano looked at me with love and lust and I loved the way he made them both mix together, not even Jaden, whom I had to kill for the sake of my job looked at me like that. Thinking of it now, my life has been very messed up, from day one. I had learned to accept and live with it, but I couldn't anymore ever since I noticed I was getting swayed by Stephano. I never loved anyone aside my mother, my colleagues at work then like Nash that was able to convince me to date Jaden, said love hurts, that's what she told me when she broke up with her boyfriend, Danny, he worked in the information communication department. I didn't understand that then, but now I think I do, but not in the same way she does, right now, love hurts me for a different reason. I always never cared about my life, I never feared death, I was reckless with my life and that was why I didn't think twice to go on that mission in the first place, but right now I do not fear death, what I fear is leaving the love I have now come to accept. But at least I would leave knowing I felt happiness, even if it was for a brief moment, though I believed I would never be happy again, not after the trauma of a trafficking ring. I closed my eyes again and tears flowed like streams down them as I squeezed my eyes. I didn't know how to cry after I got in the trafficking ring, it was like a dreaded sin to me, I learned to accept fate the way it came, unforgiving and uncaring. But now I have cried for the thousandth time since I learned to love, so yes, indeed love is painful. I know Nash would be happy to know I finally learned to love and in this moment, I think of the good memories, because I felt like I could die any moment, if not from a bullet, then from this  warning weakness. I remembered so many snarky, or cheesy comments Stephano has made since I met him and I laughed. I laughed as the tears pour from my eyes, and I think again, love is also very sweet, just as sweet as it is painful. And I let myself remember what it feels like to be loved, to be loved by Stephano, the sweet and ecstatic feeling of his love and his lust and then again, I close my eyes and embrace peace.

Stephano's P. O. V

Anger, it's all I felt as I stared at the building in front of me from a far point. Angry that she had to wait this long and angry that I might be too late. Angry that I let her go even after seeing that threat note that morning. I know my life would turn bitter if anything happens to her but worse knowing who did it to her, my own flesh and blood. The thought of losing her struck feelings in me that I didn't know I could feel.

Never love a woman, that will prove you weak, and vulnerable. Only a woman can pull down a great man.

That's what my father had told me since I was kid, that love was such a dreadful thing.

If you ever love anyone, I would find and kill them.

He had added. I would not let you be a weak fool, you are my heir.
It's normal to lust after a woman, but do not love her, or you will be like an ignorant animal, tied by the neck and led by the rope to it's grave with a bait.

And so I never loved anyone but my family, my brain had been wired by my father to be his successor. But now I love someone, who now has the effect my father dreaded on me, and I do not regret it. I could see it, that she was broken but she never showed it, never let anyone see it, she was so strong it sometimes scared me to know how broken she was, no one is ever normal after being in a trafficking ring, they are scarred for life if they survive, their thinking is also wired to know just fear but I have never really seen her scared before, or she hid it well. She made me crave happiness, and only she could offer it.

"When do we go in?" I snapped out of my thoughts and turned to the man who spoke beside me, Hector.

"I hate to admit I am a bit nervous about this, what would I do to that woman?" I was talking about my grandma, and he knew it.

"You might be able to figure that out when you get in. But right now, you need to act before she acts." He replied, loading his guns and putting on his vest before throwing me one.

"Do you have your men on ground?" I asked.

"Yes. The place she is held hostage doesn't have many men around, your father already lost over eighty percent of his men and your old lady didn't do any recruitments first. "

I nodded my head.

"If you really want to save her, you must do what you have to do." Hector added. I turned to him, he was a great friend, he agreed to help me, after all, he was indebted to her, she had saved his girlfriend's life that first day she went out with me as my bodyguard.

"Alright." I whispered.

"Good, let's go." He said before opening the door and getting out the car. And I said a silent prayer, I hope I am not too late, please be alive il mio Mondo."

(My world)