Chapter thirty-nine

The sound of my heartbeat was almost deafening at this point. My eyes were wide and filled with shock. I shook my head inwardly, calming myself down. Those icy blue eyes just watched me like a prey.

"Good morning Boss." I greeted, lowering my head and praying he hadn't recognized me.

I was met with silence. "I asked you a question." Was all he said, his voice was cool and calm.

"Forgive me sir, I just wandered off while loading the goods." I replied, feigning a masculine voice.

I watched his feet as he walked up to me slowly. He grabbed my jaw harshly, forcing my face up to his. I was forced to look into his cold eyes, they were calm as he scrutinized my face.

I gasped as his other hand came up and pulled off my cap, flinging it to a corner in the room. I held my breath, this is where my life ends. I thought to myself.

He chuckled softly, he had grey and brown stubble on his face. His grey and brown hair was neatly combed back, he was wearing a dark coat and he just stared amusedly at me.

"The bodyguard ehhn?" He chuckled, "mind explaining what you are doing here?"

I was tongue tied, I had no idea what to say at this point.

"Speak up kid, you know I could blow off your head in a matter of seconds. The only thing stopping me right now is your striking resemblance to my late wife." He warned calmly.

"Stephano left the house without me, I thought he would be here so I came here." I replied, trying my best not to stutter. This man's eyes and calm demeanor are enough to send someone to the grave. I prayed silently that he believed me.

"And you want me to believe that?" He chuckled again, "I left my son in your care and here you are telling me you don't know where he is."

I kept mute, unable to look away from his cold eyes. His rough hand was still on my jaw and he held my face firmly so I could not look away from him.

"I tell you what, I don't believe you kid, but you might be able to change that." Humour and mischief danced in his eyes, and I couldn't help but think so that's where Stephano got it from.

"How?" I asked, my voice merely a whisper.

"Good question." He smiled, I heard two men come up behind me but I was unable to turn and see who they are. My heart thudded loudly and I could only hope this wasn't going to be as bad it seemed.

"Boss, anyone bothering you?" I heard a rough voice behind me.

"Not really Wolf, I just got myself some entertainment." He grinned mischievously.

He let go off my jaw, "Now, you will have your chance to prove yourself to me."

I was pushed roughly into a room as I walked behind Stollo, the two men following behind. My eyes widened seeing the tied up woman in the room, she was wearing her uniform, she is a cop and there was another man in the room in a black shirt and jeans pants. They were both sweating heavily and panting. They were gagged and their hands tied behind them, their feet too were tied and they sat on the bare floor, their backs leaning against the wall. My heart raced at the thought of being locked up in here, tied and gagged, there is no escape, no windows and just one door that will be locked. He handed me a gun, my eyes widened staring at the gun in his hands.

"Take it." He ordered, I raised my hand, carefully taking the gun from his palm.

"Shoot him." He pointed to the man, whose eyes widened upon hearing his order. I felt sweat appear on my forehead and arms. My hand shuddered as I stared at the man. It was him, the man who followed I and Stephano on the way back from the grocery store that fateful day. The man who almost risked my life by talking to me that day. What was he doing here? Shock was written all over his face and I could see him shake in fear.

"He is real stupid, barging in here with a policewoman and threatening to arrest us if we don't give up some so called Vanessa." Stollo laughed, as if the situation was very amusing to him.

I couldn't speak, I just held the gun, my hand shivering and my heart racing.

"Shoot him kid, we ain't got all day you know." He crossed his arms, looking expectantly at me.

I raised the gun, pointing it to the man, my hand was shaking vigorously and I tried my best to stop it.

"You are wasting my time, I would waste you all if you don't behave." Stollo spoke so calmly and softly, as if taking to a little kid, his voice was like cooing a crying toddler but his words were grave and dangerous.

I blinked my eyes twice rapidly before with one deep breath, I pulled the trigger.

The man screamed in pain, but it was muffled by the gag on his mouth. I had shot his arm. He was writhing in pain.

Stollo laughed, a deep dark chuckle escaping from his throat.

"You wanna play smart kid?" He grabbed the gun from me, and in a second he pulled the trigger on the woman, the bullet hit her forehead, splattering blood, and her eyes remained agape in a shocking death. I bit my lip to stop myself from screaming. He grabbed my hand, handing me gun again.

"Now shoot him." He ordered. I pointed the gun at the man's forehead. He squeezed his eyes shut and swallowed hard. I could see the great fear in them before he shut them. I saw Stollo move angrily to grab the gun from me and I that moment I shot the man, right on his forehead. I looked away from him and to Stollo. He had a satisfied smile on his face.

"You got lucky, I had already lost my patience."

"Now for the next step, the tattoo." He grinned mischievously.

I swallowed. "What tattoo?"

"Show her." He motioned to one of the guards. He raised the sleeve of his shirt, there were many tattoos on his arm but he pointed to one near his shoulder. It was a writing. I read it, it said omerta.

I knew what it meant, the code of silence of the Italian mafia.

I was dragged out the room again behind Stollo.

"What's going on Dad? Where is she?" I could hear the coldness in the voice that spoke.... Stephano.

"Chill son, I was just letting her get familiar with the mafia life. Nothing much, nothing to worry about." Stollo's voice was plain and friendly in a mocking way.

He stepped aside, allowing me to meet Stephano's hard stare. I remained silent, keeping my face and eyes blank.

"See... She is totally fine. She just came to look for you, she really knows her job you see." Stollo grinned.

"You ever notice she look a lot like Melissa?" Stollo asked, furrowing his brows. Stephano however didn't reply, didn't utter a word or bat an eyelid.

"I am leaving." Was all he said before turning and starting his journey away from them.

Stollo motion for me to follow him, "you take care of him kid. In every way possible." He grinned devilishly.

I turned and started following Stephano as he walked hastily out of the warehouse. I heaved a sigh of relief, I felt the huge disgust and guilt in my stomach as I recalled everything that has happened withing the past thirty minutes. I felt my eyes water like I was going to cry, wasting an innocent life. I felt like I was going to puke. Stephano got into the car and I got in beside him. I silently wondered if he knew what his father was up to.

"What the hell were you thinking coming here on your own Ariana?" He asked, his voice was angry and restrained. "You could have died, just like that, and there would be absolutely nothing on Earth I could do about it."

"I am .... Sorry." Was all I could say, my eye were empty and I felt pale.

He sighed, turning and igniting the car. And at that moment, I just spoke.

"Stephano.... What's the deal with the Russian mafia about?"

He was quiet, and after what seemed to be five seconds. He answered. "I dunno. I dunno, never wanted to know."