Chapter thirty-eight

"What are we doing here?" I asked as we pulled up in front of an expensive restaurant.

"Having dinner." He replied, taking out the keys and opening his door. I opened mine too, stepping out.

I walked beside him as we got in and took a seat by the glass windows.

"You look rather beautiful tonight, so I thought.... Why not take you to dinner?" He was staring at me, his eyes holding me still, they looked jovial.

I turned my gaze away, not knowing how to respond. He always seemed to have an effect on me, and I don't like it. I was starting to really react to him, and that's not good for either of us. He doesn't help matters with those eyes of his and flirtatious looks.

A waiter came up to take our orders and I was happy for the brief distraction. I ate my soup quietly, feeling his gaze on me all along but pretending not to.

He ate his quietly too, all the while staring at me. I started to feel uncomfortable, I could feel his gaze on my lips.

"Why are you staring at me Stephano?" I blurted, looking up at him.

He smirked, "You're too pretty not to stare at."

I rolled my eyes, and turned back to my food, "keep your eyes off my lips Stephano."I muttered.

"I can't, I really want to savour them, know how the soup will taste from them." He whispered seductively.

"I am still your bodyguard Stephano. You have to stop this." I groaned.

"Why? You don't like it?" He grinned.

I stood from the table with a glare, "excuse me, I need to use the bathroom."

I looked into the bathroom mirror, my lipstick had started disappearing, from Stephano's kiss and from sipping my soup. I whipped my head to the side as the bathroom door opened, my eyes widened in shock seeing who it was.

"Mrs. James." I gasped. The tall dark skinned woman stared back at me without a hint of surprise. Her dark hair was packed in a ponytail, she wore a sleeveless fitted gown, she was in her forties and her heels clicked on the tiles as she walked towards me, her dark brown eyes not leaving me face. She was a pretty athletic woman and it showed all over her body.

"Agent Whitestone." She half smiled, without her eyes. It was a cold smile that was indicated only by the movement of her lips.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Same thing you are." She shrugged.

"Don't tell me you have been following me." I frowned.

"I haven't." She raised her brows.

"I will take my leave now." I turned, walking past her. She grabbed my hand before I could.

I stared questioningly at her. "Be careful." She whispered softly. My frown softened and I nodded at her before leaving.

I went back to my seat where Stephano sat waiting for me.

"We should go."

"You aren't hungry anymore?" He asked.

"I am quite full Stephano, thank you."

We drove back home silently, I retired to my room. Taking off my clothe and shoes. I left the necklace Stephano gave me on. I headed into the shower, trying to wash away the several feelings that ran through me and the endless logic my brain was bringing up. I got out of the shower, drying myself and hopping on my bed.

Unknown P. O. V

"What information do you have on the deal?" The cold voice across the line came.

"Not much yet sir, but I have a suspected accomplice that might need to be checked out. He might be a lead."

"Who could that be?"

"Mr. David Myers. I will send you the details."

"Hurry up and get me the information I need, we are running out of time." The cold voice warned before hanging up.

Ariana's P. O. V

"Where is Stephano?" I asked Stephanie, she was pruning the plants in the garden outside. "I haven't seen him since morning."

"Yeah well, he left pretty early this morning." She replied.

"Any idea where he went?"

"Not really, probably to run some urgent business."

"I might need to go find him." I sighed before turning and getting back inside. I went to my room, I grabbed a dark loose trouser and a black jacket. I packed my hair into a tight bun and put on a black baseball cap. I was trying to look like a man, I needed the disguise to get into the warehouse without suspicion. I ruffled my eyebrows a bit and grabbed a pair of boots, I was taking a risk but it was a risk that needed to be taken.

I was glad no one saw me leave the house, Stephanie was no longer outside when I came out. I walked towards the gate, giving the guard outside a half smile. He looked rather taken aback seeing my dressing but he still recognized me. He nodded his head as I opened the gate and stepped out.

I took a deep breath as I got off the taxi in front of th warehouse. I said a small prayer before venturing into the gate. The men seemed to be very busy, they were all loading something into the warehouse. They were yelling things in Italian to each other and everyone was running around, doing one thing or the other. The situation seemed to be in favour. My heart skipped a beat as one of the man called out to me.

"Ehi, vai laggiù e mettiti al lavoro!" He yelled.

I was glad I understood a bit Italian, I did take a few lessons before opting to work with the Italian mafia.

(hey, get over there and get to work!)

I walked hastily towards the huge vehicle from which the men were offloading cartons and taking into the warehouse. I grabbed a carton, slightly heavy and followed behind the men, their body reeked of sweat and alcohol. I lowered my head to avoid making eye contact with anyone. They walked into the warehouse, a huge metal door was open and I could see that it is where they dropped the cartons, stocking and arranging them. I could see the cartons had a certain indicator on them. Some had a red line on them, some had a blue line and some had a white line, they were being arranged according to the color of those lines. I could see another small iron door at the end of this room. I pretended to be sorting the cartons while the men left.

I opened the carton with the blue stripe, there was a white, powdery substance in a transparent nylon in it. I could guess it was one thing.... Cocaine. I packed it back quickly, turning to the white striped carton, I opened it hastily, praying no one was coming but I know they would soon be here. There were small bottles inside it, they were sealed heavily and coated at the top and bottom with metal. I could see a green substance shining through the glass. I grabbed one of the bottles, shoving it into my pocket and packing the carton back. As I heard footsteps behind me and talking, I dashed towards the closed metal door, opening it and running inside before slamming it shut. I turned to the path, it seemed to be a small passage, I started walking down it. I noticed a flight of stairs leading downwards by the end. I swallowed, then I started walking down. I noticed an open door at the end of the stairs. I looked inside and my eyes widened in shock and horror, this seemed to be a lab with several medicines, injections and pills lined up in there. But what baffled me was the two girls tied to a long piece of metal sheet standing by the wall, they seemed unconscious. Their skin was a very pale white and I could see the outline of their veins. I clasped my mouth in horror.

"What are you doing here?"

I nearly screamed as the blue eyed man came up in front of me.