Chapter twenty-nine

I opened the door, stepping out of my room the same time Stephano did. He was wearing a tank top and a pair of shorts with some jogging shoes.

He gave me a small smile as  I looked at him.

"Good morning." I greeted.

He nodded. "I am going for a jog."

"Oh. I can see that. Would you like me to come along?" I asked.

"If you can keep up." He replied.

"I will wear better fitting clothes." I opened the door to my room again, walking in and shutting the door. I changed into a black singlet and black shorts, I grabbed the only pair of canvas I had, knotting the laces safely and walking down the stairs. I walked down the stairs, walking out the door to meet him outside.

It was a little dark as the sun hadn't risen yet at just five thirty in the morning.

We walked casually past the guards outside and out the gates. They bowed their head in a greeting as Stephano walked by.

They were all armed, and I noticed there were now cameras in the compound that weren't there before.

Stephano started at a slow pace as we left the house. I followed suit, jogging steadily beside him.

Soon he started to run, I ran too trying to keep up with him. As if he was trying to challenge me he ran faster as I got to him, I ran too, my heart racing erratically, but I didn't want to stop, I wanted to keep up with him. I could feel the sweat trickle down my neck and breasts. The sky started to turn orange as the sun appeared in the clouds. I could hear the sound of birds chirping as the streets awakened. Stephano pulled out his phone from his pocket, slowing down. My heart gladdened as I halted too.

"Yeah. That's right." He answered, barely breathing while I was panting crazily.

"What?!" His voice thundered. Anger burning in his eyes, he clenched his fist. I watched as beads of sweat rolled down his face.

He hung up, sliding his phone into his pocket.

"Stephanie and Sophia, they have been attacked on their way to the hospital." Was all he said before turning and running quickly towards the house.

I hesitated for a second, shock visible in my eyes before I turned and ran towards him quickly.

He didn't bother to change as we got to the house, he got into the car quickly without sparing me a glance.

I opened the passenger seat hopping in beside him.

The guards had already opened the gate speedily. He ignited the car, driving out of the house and into the streets at full speed.

I closed my eyes briefly, silently praying they were okay and Sophia didn't lose her baby.

I didn't talk as Stephano gripped onto the steering with such force I feared it might uproot. I didn't want to ask questions either, I felt that at difficult times like this, words won't do anything, questions will fuel anger and any utterance that wasn't a solution was unacceptable. Sorry wouldn't work in these terms either.

He pulled into a hospital, I quickly unfastened my seat belt, he didn't even have one on. I had to fasten mine due to his crazy driving. We got out hastily, I wasn't sure what to do in this situation, wait or follow. I choose to follow, he walked hastily into the hospital. I could see the nurses and doctors walking to and fro. Stephano hurried to what seemed to be the receptionist. It may be hard to believe that I was in awe at the environment, I had never been to a hospital but once. When I was saved from the trafficking rings, I was tested for any disease or mental dysfunction.
I was speechless as I saw some people pace around in anxiety, fiddling with their clothes, clenching their head or tugging their hair.

Stephano soon did the same after talking to the receptionist. He clenched his head and tugged his hair, he was obviously pissed, he looked like he wanted to kick something hard. I wondered silently if something grave has happened to them. But I dared not think deep about it. I just hoped they were fine and he was triggerd by emotions. I hardly learned to care or be cared for in my life. In the trafficking ring, I watched a girl slump and die almost everyday. Either hunger, rape or physical and emotional abuse and if not those, there were strange diseases we were exposed to. I waited eagerly for the day I will die like those lucky girls, to be free from the rotten hands of men, from the strange injections we were sometimes given and the starvation.

I watched some people being carted in, in a bed. Nurses and doctors scurrying and family members crying hysterically. I would never dream of taking such a job, to watch such scenes, to see blood drip from the body of some patients rushed in here and unto the floor. To see even little kids cry for loved ones. It wasn't a dream job for me.

I watched a nurse walk up to Stephano and ask him a few questions, she gave him some papers to fill and sign and I saw them talk for about five minutes before she walked away.

I stood there, watching like a spectator. It felt like an hour before the nurse came back to Stephano, I saw him heave a sigh of relief when she spoke. I sighed too, they were fine. I walked up to him.

He turned to me. His eyes were a bit glassy with held back tears.

I couldn't understand how he was so emotional when his father was a ruthless man. I felt my heart warm up to know that he wasn't like his father, ruthless, unloving and uncaring.

"They are going to be okay." He spoke, his voice almost a whisper. "The baby is fine too. Though Stephanie is badly injured, seems she threw herself on Sophia to protect her."

I smiled, she was brave and she was okay, and the baby was okay. I knew this baby must have been anticipated for a while before it came.

We walked into the room where the girls lay. Stephanie had bandages almost all over her body. Her forehead, her arms, shoulders and legs.
Sophia was hurt on her shoulder only.

She smiled as she gazed upon Stephano, her eyes watered and tears fell through them. Stephanie was still unconscious. They lay in different beds beside each other.

Stephano walked like a robot towards Sophia.

"What's going on Stephano?" She asked, her voice was pained and hoarse. "Why did those men attack us and what does Dad have to do with them?"

Stephano stood still at her bed. He looked down, and shook his head lightly.

"Don't tell me you are a part of his sick plans Stephano. Look at our sister." She pointed to Stephanie, her voice broke as she cried.

"This has to end Stephano. We could have died. We can't live a safe life because of his bullshit. Why do we get to be the ones to suffer while he was always running away?" Pain leaked through her eyes.

"What's the big plan he is cooking up this time? I need to know." She demanded. "And once we are discharged, I am taking Stephanie, Grandma and Quinn and we are leaving. Far away from this bullshit. Luca left, we should have too."

"That would be the best for you." Stephano answered, his eyes glued to hers. It was obvious he wouldn't join them.