Chapter Forty-eight

More vehicles are coming and we can see them from here, headed this way. The logo on them assures me that they are part of my team.

"I am not going to take the front. I will run from behind the cabin towards you." I speak again, not directed at Stephano.

"Get away from here." I whisper to him. I dunno how he will do it, but I pray he survives. The last thing I see of him is a pained look and I feel tears prick my eyes as I turn away from him and start running. I know he won't shoot me at least.

I raise my hands in surrender and run towards my team while speaking into the device. I see a person raise their hand and give a sign, all I hear is gunshots everywhere as I lower my upper half and move through the grass, telling them it's me, Agent Whitestone as I head towards them. I hear a yelp behind me and I turn and realize Stephano had been shot on his arm and he is no longer behind the small cabin but in front.

"Agent, welcome." I hear a strong female voice and I am quickly urshered to the back of the truck and handed a bullet proof vest.

"Sir! They are outnumbered but they won't surrender." I hear a man shout over the gunshots and I recognize him, Todd. He is talking to the commander.

I can see so many dead bodies from here, but I don't spot Stephano. I put on the bulletproof vest and I sit behind the truck.

"We are sending more men to the warehouse..."

We hear a loud explosion and my eyes widen and I jump out the truck to see the cabin on fire and so many vehicles belonging to the mafia on fire too. I feel panic overwhelm my heart and my fear for Stephano rises. He can't make it out of here alive. They are surrounded. I notice many men down.

"We need to move now!" The commander gets off, he is a middle aged man with grey strands of hair and wearing a blue bottom up below his vest. The voice across the line. He shouts a command to the men but I have zoned out as I say one last prayer for Stephano.

Forgive me Stephano.

I feel tears well up at my eyes but as I see Agnes walk up to me I hold it back.

"Good to have you back, Agent Whitestone." She says with a plain face, and an equally neutral voice. She is wearing black pants and blue shirt under the bulletproof vest.

"Thank you." I manage a small smile as she gets in the truck and takes a seat beside me and I hear the shootings stop suddenly.

A man turns up in front of us, "Many of them are dead, the rest have been arrested. We have confiscated the goods."

"Did anyone manage to escape?" She asked.

"No, we surrounded everywhere, there is a very narrow chance of escape. Many of the survivors are injured though."

"Load them in the black trucks and have twenty armed men with them. Handcuff them, we shall be going to the warehouse in case there are any left goods." Agnes is the second in command, she rarely shows emotion when she is not being a bitch, working with her was quite an experience, she doesn't tolerate weakness and I can't let her suspect me now, I can't let her see that my heart has been torn into two and I feel like several knives are being stabbed into my chest over and over, and I simply struggle to keep a straight face and not think of what I have done, I had to do it.

"Let's go." She turned to me before hopping off the truck, I followed behind her. Her blonde ponytail bouncing as we headed for her car.

"Send the rest of the men with us." She yelled at the other guy as she got in the driver's seat and I get in beside her.