Chapter 46

Populus

People

On the inside of the black SUV, Jungkook held Taehyung's cheeks as he tried to soothe him with little kisses here and there, to his forehead, to the tip of his nose, to his cheeks, but nothing could stop the tears, the worry, the guilt.

He knew the sun outside was beginning to set and that they should be driving away given how long this car has been in the parking lot. And if anybody had caught a glimpse of them getting inside this unmoving car, they could be in trouble.

But his priority right now was Taehyung. His beautiful Angel who just now hid his face in his neck once more as he hugged him tightly. Thankfully, the tears had stopped, however, the worry hadn't. Of course, it hadn't.

So Jungkook did the only thing he could think of to soothe Taehyung's mind. He got his lips close to his ear as he brushed his hair with his fingers gently, and said.

- You once told me they were like me in some way, did you not? - For a moment, there was silence. Then, Taehyung took a deep breath and let it go alongside the tension in his shoulders as he nodded. - Good. Then, if they are, they will find a good place to hide and stay there. And a good place to hide wouldn't only be a place out of sight, it will be a place where they are safe from the weather and have good food. Maybe they barricaded themselves inside a closed restaurant. And I'm sure that if Edward reads as much as both of us, he will have to know something about what to do, who to call, and what to wait for. Just like I do. Alright? - Taehyung took in another deep breath and nodded again, a bit faster this time.

Thank you. - Taehyung whispered in his neck and held on for a bit longer as Jungkook kept on stroking his hair gently.

He didn't want to use that move to make him feel better even if he knew it would. Because it felt like a foul thing to do, to use those fantasies and feed them such extraordinary speculations. In other words, he felt like he was lying to Taehyung.

He loved it when they "dreamed for a moment" and made up a fantasy world together. It was fun and pretty and a very good distraction sometimes. But he would be lying if he didn't say that the way Taehyung's eyes would glaze over and shine as they fantasize didn't frighten him somewhat. In a way, whenever that happens, it almost feels like it was another Taehyung. Not different, just... another level of him; his hands would hold him differently, his posture would seem much more confident even when relaxed, and his words were sure and honest as if he truly felt in his bones that these fantasies could come true, like the other night when they were dreaming about "where they would be living" and "having breakfast with who", Taehyung looked at Jungkook as if to say "Obviously, with Edward and Audrey. Obviously, with my parents. Obviously." As if he was so sure; as if it could ever be real.

Jungkook was so tied up to the floor that a little too much fantasy could scare him sometimes, and Taehyung could float away so easily that he wanted to protect him from that too. So he waited until there was nothing else to do before he used it, and then he shut up again.

For now, he could only tighten himself against Taehyung and soothe him with caresses. He wanted him to be the one to separate them, only then will he be sure that Taehyung was fine enough to let go. But as they rocked softly from side to side, Jungkook found himself suddenly praying that what he had said, those kids would do.