T H I R T Y - e i g h t

I looked at them, wide-eyed

They didn't say anything.

"I-" I cleared my throat, the whirring of the chainsaw still echoing in my ear.

Monsters, a voice whispered in my ear.

Your monsters, another voice whispered.

I looked at them, really looked at them, at the strong bodies they had, in the expressionless eyes they had which lit up with gentleness and love for me. I looked at their suits stretching on their bodies, on their muscles, as if the monster within was ready to come out.

They were bad. They were so bad.

Lovely to look, deadly to touch.

"I-" I couldn't speak. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to feel.

I bought my knees to my chest, setting my head on them, hiding my face from them.

"Kitten."

I shook my head.

"Little one, look at us." I front a hand on my arm, I didn't flinch away because I didn't feel threatened. I looked up. It was Xerxes who had his large hand on my arm. He didn't take it away as he sternly looked me in the eye.

"He deserves it, you know it," he said quietly. "He hurt Miss Arnaud, too."

I frowned.

They told me everything they knew. When they were finished I felt so stupid. I should have known that he wasn't mourning, he just wanted the money. I...let him touch me because he made me feel like I owed it for killing his mother but he never cared for his mother, or his father.

It was obvious Carrie knew, that was why she asked me to stay away from him but he was nice to me, and I thought we were friends. It was clear that Carrie had a soft spot for her son, because of the fact that she did not try to get him back into the prison, or maybe she knew that the Valentinos and the Creeds were hunting the people who had worked for Igor. But she didn't leave him any money.

A little forgiveness, a little punishment.

When they were done telling me everything, we had reached the mansion. The giant iron gates opened and the limousine drove inside, the rain was falling softly and the lightning in the sky was frequent, making the large beautiful white mansion look haunted. Like its owners.

They helped me out of the limousine and ushered me inside. I didn't speak. The fact that they thought that the fire could be intentional burned in my head as I climbed the staircase with them surrounding me, looking at my face, looking for a reaction.

Could the fire be intentional?

The only person who could benefit from her death was Declan.

"Can you...ask him?" I asked Ashton. "If he caused the fire?"

He looked surprised by the question. "Ah, yes. But he might not open his mouth without..."

I gulped. Torture.

"Ask him," I repeated, I knew they were hanging on to every word I was saying. "Ask him if he caused it and if he did...do whatever you want."

. . .

I was laying between Zavier and Xerxes, Ashton was in the basement, interrogating Declan.

"Are you scared of us?" Xerxes asked. There weren't touching me as if they knew how on edge I was. One touch and I'd crumble like a sandcastle touched by the ocean.

"No," I spoke truthfully. "I...am scared because...I don't mind it."

I felt them freeze.

"He deserves it. He killed Carrie's husband, who she loved very much. He killed his own father...I can't pity a man like that. But what you did... it's not good either," I whispered. "I don't know what to feel."

I felt arms around my waist.

"Am I bad for not hating you now?" I asked, mostly to myself.

"You are not bad for not wanting to show mercy to the one who has wronged you," Zavier spoke.

"Don't keep kindness in your heart for people who don't deserve it." Xerxes snuggled into my neck.

"You don't deserve it," I spoke, eyes fixed at the dark ceiling. "You three are...so cruel. I should be scared. I should be terrified."

"Why do you think you're not?" Zavier asked.

"Because..." I trailed off, sinking my teeth into my bottom lip. "I love you three."

. . .

🗿