A Stormy Night

Beginne am Anfang

I shook my head of all those thoughts. I wasn’t going to think about that at the moment.

“Oof!”

“Oops, sorry Alaure. I didn’t see you there,” Bax said, gripping my shoulders to keep me from falling.

“It’s okay. Apparently, neither did I.”

“Did you just come from Damon’s office?” he asked, peering over my shoulder.

“Yeah, why?”

“What were you doing in there?”

I shrugged, “Just chilling with Damon.”

He chortled, “That’s funny. Chilling with Damon.”

I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Oh, you were being serious.”

“Uh, yeah.”

“Nobody just chills with Damon anymore.”

I shrugged, not in the talkative mood. “I just did,” I said walking around him. He shot me a very suspicious glare before I walked downstairs.

___________________________________________________________________________

After dinner, I brushed my teeth and tucked myself under the covers, careful not to put pressure on my most sensitive areas. I was extremely lucky I didn’t end up with any fatal cuts or major concussions. How on earth I managed to escape circumstances in a tumbling car is beyond me. Nadya still had her eyes glued to me lately, ready to attend to me at the slightest wince. She’d been making me rest more than usual too.

All the love and care she was giving me was slowly filling up the emptiness and lack of love from the last 16 years. I missed my mother of course, but Nadya was doing a good job of making up for what I no longer had. In fact I wasn’t sure if I could handle leaving here if the time ever came. I think my heart would split again. I snuggled closer into my pillow and unknowingly drifted off to sleep with thoughts of Nadya.

When I woke up I was shivering, and a loud whistling noise was coming from outside. Groggily from just waking up, I didn’t understand what it was at first until I noticed the large shapes swaying outside. It was the wind. The noise was so loud that it seemed like we were in the middle of a hurricane. For a moment I thought maybe I had left a window open a tad, but the windows in this room were floor to ceiling and didn't open.

I hoped there wasn't anything left outside that the wind could pick up and shatter the windows. Just that thought alone kept me from falling back asleep. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before, incredibly frightening. Along with the piercingly loud whistle of the wind, the windows shook, threatening to bend and break from the pressure. I hid myself, pulling the covers over my head, but the fear and annoyance didn’t diminish. I just wanted to get out of here...maybe even go back down to my cell. At least there I didn't have to worry too much about windows.

My entire body was tense, my heart was beating erratically and my mind wouldn’t stop thinking about something slamming into the windows at any moment. Unable to bear it any longer, I got up from my bed and walked absentmindedly into the hall. The entire house reverberated with the angry howls of the wind. With my mind focused on the noise, I hadn't even noticed I had walked down the hall to Damon’s door. Without a second thought, I turned the knob and cautiously walked in.

“Damon?” I whispered, “Are you awake?”

“Hmm?” he mumbled as I came to his side.

“Sorry, did I wake you?”