She laid her fork down. "It's weird how much you know at times. But you're right. I want to talk about Link."

Carter picked at the cake in front of her, might as well get comfortable.

"What about?" she said. "I feel at this point you know more than I do."

"I do, but not when it comes to how he felt growing up without his father. It's something he doesn't talk about. His relationship with his father is so good now I know he doesn't like to think about it. And I've met his father, they are really close."

They were, it was something Carter admired about Link. He could forgive and accept. She didn't think President Douglas deserved Link. Hopefully, he was aware of that.

"Well they did have a lot of struggles to overcome to become that close," Carter said. 

"I know and that's why I'd like to know."

Carter nodded. "Honestly, Donovan could give you a better understanding since he was there for a lot of it."

Maddy smiled. "Yes, but I didn't think he'd like coming to a cake taste testing."

"I don't know, he likes cake."

His favorite was ice cream cake. Two desserts in one was his comment on why this was true.

Maddy laughed. "I'm asking you, Carter. You're Link's best friend. You have to know."

So Carter told her, talking about how angry Link had been at first, how his whole life had been set on its head. How lonely it had been with only Donovan knowing the truth. All the things Link had slowly shared with Carter over time, the things that they had connected on.

Once finished, most of the cakes had been eaten and Maddy looked sympathetic.

"I can't believe how much he had to go through," she said. "It makes me love him all the more for how he turned out." She smiled, resting her chin in her hand. "Did you know I hadn't dated anyone like him before? Well, you know I dated the fit, overly attractive jerks like Zac. Then here is this awkward, kind boy I never imagined dating in a million years because he didn't fit my mold of 'hot guy'."

She laughed and leaned back, her eyes taking on a far-off look. Carter knew she was better for it. The 'hot guy' was overrated. At least Donovan had intelligence, without that she never would have talked to him, let alone fallen for him.

"He offered to help me with calculus and actually meant it," Maddy continued. "I expected it to be a line or some way to get close but once we finished he didn't even ask for my number or a date. I wasn't sure what to make of him."

Carter snorted. "It took a lot of work to get him that far."

Surprised, Maddy stared at her. "You were part of it?"

Part of it? She could stand up at their wedding and give a toast that started with, 'you're welcome'. But she didn't like giving speeches.

"I was. All he wanted to do was stare at you, scared to do more. I had to keep shoving him in your direction."

A bright bubbly laugh broke from Maddy.

"All this time, you were the one to help us get together. Carter Owens, Cupid's Helper."

Carter shrugged.

"Just because I scowl a lot doesn't mean I don't want to see others happy."

"It's just unexpected is all. But thank you for forcing him. He was a skinny, awkward, average-looking boy and the day I met him my life changed."