37.4 | parting

-Chapter Thirty Seven-

part 4

[name] fumbled her way out of her blanket, groggily standing up to make her way to grab a glass of water. Her eyes opening and closing rather slowly as she took sips of the cold cup of water in her hand.

While taking small sips of the water, her eyes wandered around the small house. The house was small enough to see almost every part of it while standing in one place. As her eyes glossed over each part of the house, her eyes glazed over the small crack in the front doorway.

The small crack was letting in the moonlight but she could see a shadow that moved beyond the door. She supposed it was Vinny since he wasn't in his bed.

[name]'s feet padded softly against the wooden tile floors, turning around to put her glass of water on top of the counters before fully going to the doorway. As she reached forward to open the door, Vinny glanced back at her.

His one red eye shined in the moonlight, small huffs of air was exhaled from his mouth. It seemed as if he was cold but that made [name] wonder. Why bother going outside in the night if it was cold?

It seemed as if Vinny had read her thoughts, answering her question with a curt response.

"Went outside to clear my head."

[name] simply nodded at the response, trying to hide her surprise with the sudden comment. Despite her attempt of hiding her surprise, Vinny seemed to catch on. The tiniest smile appeared on his face.

"You're going to go back home? Is it because you're sick?"

Vinny asked, [name] let out a breath of a laugh, nodding at his questions.

It was little interaction between them but it was easy. Vinny took his hands out of his pockets, pulling out a hand warmer from his pocket before handing it over to [name].

They stood there in the moonlight, both clutching onto the hand warmer. It felt as if it was the last goodbye they would ever have.