Goodbye, Chris - Chapter Fifty-Five

A N N I E

My dad hugged me tight around my shoulders, and I inhaled his scent one last time before I wouldn't see him for he next six months or so. He let go of me, kissing my forehead, and tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "There's enough yellow wolfsbane to keep Peter out for the trip back," he smiled at me, "but be careful."

"You're really going with them?" Scott asked, the morning wind sweeping against his dirty cheeks, sweeping against all of our dirty faces.

I turned my attention to the caravan of Calaveras waiting for my father to come join them, and I covered a tear. My dad sighed, "I made a deal with the Calaveras weeks ago. They'll leave you alone," he turned to me, "all of you, but only if I help catch Kate."

I raised my eyebrows, "The wolfsbane I shot her with will only weaken her, she'll heal eventually. What if you can't catch her?"

"I'll find her," my dad smiled, taking a few steps back, "someone has to."

He turned to walk away but I stopped him, "I love you, Dad!"

He turned to me, "I love you, too, Annie Elizabeth."

Liam held tight to me as I watched their cars and trucks pull away from the ruins, going on their way to venture the unknown, looking for my Aunt Kate. I believe that's what we all are about to do... adventure the unknown.

"We did it," I smiled, looking around at everyone. "We really did it."

"I know, you guys saved me," Scott smiled.

I shook my head, "I didn't mean that. I meant... we did it. We proved her proud... We proved Allison proud."

* * *

I walked into the Sheriff's station, finally in clean clothes, and finally able to say I've taken a brush through my hair. I saw Parrish sitting a his desk a little bit away, and I jogged over to him, sitting the book on his desk.

He looked up at me confused, then opened it and began to flip through each page. Looking at anything from the Wendigo to the Kanima. "It used to be on a hard drive," I commented. "But we eventually decided that it would be a good idea to have a hard copy around." I patted the book, "So we put it in a book."

Parrish ran his fingers over each individual sketch and drawing. "What is it?"

"It's called a Bestiary." Parrish looked up at me, "Whatever you are, it might be in here. I'd like to help you figure it out." I smiled at him.