The Argent Fate - Chapter Fourteen

L I A M

I stood out on the field, I could see my warm breath mist white into the air whenever the two collided as I breathed. I found myself bouncing on my toes and chattering my teeth for a bit before I become a common with the cold. The night sky shined bright stars above the busied lacrosse field, but were shut out to the naked eye because of the lights shining onto the newly painted lines on the grass.

There was the thought again. The thought of her. Where was she? Should I go find her? Should I go talk to her? I want to, I really want to. What was so special about you, Annie, that makes me drawn to you? That makes my heart race or my heart slow. That makes you my anchor... Come on, Liam. What's the matter with you? You're the kid who lost his virginity the first day of freshman year to the principle's daughter, not some sappy romantic. Although, there she was, walking towards me, and I could not keep my eyes off of her.

"Hello," she smiled, walking and standing next to me.

"You look cold." I laughed at her plain white T-shirt in the 30-degree weather.

Annie huffed, "Well, the long sleeve shirt I had on is soaking wet in my bag.... so I had to settle with Stiles's lacrosse shirt." she laughed.

I looked around the ground, and finally eyed my bag. I reached down and pulled out my long-sleeve white shirt. I handed it to Annie. "It's not much, but it's better than a dirty lacrosse shirt."

Annie raised her eyebrows, taking it from me. "Are you sure you don't mind? I mean, you're in a T-shirt too."

I looked down at my bare arms not covered by my jersey. I laughed, "Annie, I'm about to go play lacrosse, you're going to sit there watching... Take the shirt."

Annie smirked up at me, "Cover me?"

I creased my eyebrows, "Sure?"

She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the side of the bleachers. She looked around us one last time to make sure no one was around, and then pulled off her T-shirt, revealing her black, Nike sports bra. A scar stretched from her right ribcage to her hip.

Annie stuck her head through the neck hole of my shirt and looked at me, raising her eyebrows. "You could turn around, you know?"

I cleared my throat, closing my eyes and turning around. "Uh--um--sorry. I just--sorry."

"It's alright, Liam." Annie laughed, "Okay, you're good."

I turned around and my shirt hung down to Annie's thighs and the sleeves went far past her finger tips. "Wow, you're small."

Annie scoffed, "Tell me about it."

She began to roll up her right sleeve and I cleared my throat. "So... if you don't mind me asking... how'd you get that scar on your side?"

Annie sighed, moving to the next sleeve. "Training."

"For what?"

Annie laughed aloud, looking at me.

"Oh, like hunter training." I nodded.

"Yeah, you'd be shocked what a pair of claws can do when they're not your friend's." Annie sadly smirked up at me... sore subject, I guess.

"Why are you friends with us? Like... werewolves. If you hunt them, why do you help them?" I asked.

Annie pulled her skinny jeans forward and started tucking in the excess of the shirt. "Well, truthfully, we don't hunt them. My family used to, but these past years have changed a lot about the way we do things."

"What do you mean?"

Annie tilted her head to the side, trying to see behind her back. "Well, Allison knew about werewolves far before me. She actually trained with Kate and my mother. After she died, I learned the truth, and our family code had changed. Like several generations before me, our code was... Hunt qui venabuntur nobis."

I blinked, "What does that mean?"

"It's Latin for... Hunt those who hunt us." Annie looked up at me, our eyes meeting, connecting. "Um... after my mom died, Allison and my father tried to stay out of the supernatural for as long as possible, but it was kind of the Argent's fate to help. So... we did, but we changed the code."

I eased my eyes on her, "To what?"

"Custodibit qui non liberantur." Annie paused, "Which translates to... Protect those who cannot protect themselves."

I nodded, "What about the werewolves that hurt people?"

Annie scoffed amusingly, "We leave those to the Calaveras." She turned around and faced her back to me. "Did I miss some of my shirt--or your shirt?"

I saw the small piece of shirt hanging out of her pants, and I walked over. I could hear Annie's heart rate go up as I touched her lower back, tucking in the loose piece.

After I tucked it in, I still stood behind her. I moved my hand up and moved her hair all to one side of her face in the front, and I saw her swallow as my breath hit her ear. Just as she went to turn around, Mason interrupted us, and Annie quickly shook her goosebumps away.

"Hey, guys!" Mason turned the corner and I awkwardly scratched my neck. Annie stifled laugh and I couldn't help but chuckle too. "What's so funny?"

I laughed aloud, "You kind of walked in on something, buddy."

"Ooooohhh..." Mason's eyes went wide. Annie nodded, walking over and hooking arms with him as she pulled him away. I followed. Soon we were all just standing out on the side of the field.

Annie lightly elbowed me in my arm, directing my attention to Brett and his team walking past us. One of the guys walked over to Annie, and stood in front of her. He was a little shorter than me. "Hey, my name's Gary, and even though you kicked Brett's ass... he still wants your number. Oh, and Liam," Gary smirked up at me, we used to have math together, "he sends his love."

I scoffed as Gary ran away with the rest of the team, winking once at Annie. I shook my head, watching as Brett smirked back at me. "I don't care if he's a foot taller than me. I think I can take him."

Mason nodded, "Yeah." he stared at Brett. Not like a mean stare... but a gaze stare, like crush stare, like the way I'll stare at Annie during Chemistry.

I put my hands on my hips, "What do you think you're doing?"

"What? Me?" Mason scoffed, "Agreeing with you. I'm being agreeable."

Annie giggled behind me, and I nodded "assuringly." I shook my head, "You think he's hot, don't you?"

"No!" Mason defended, "No, not at all. No way!" Mason paused, sighing, "Maybe. Yeah, maybe a little."

I smiled widely, "He wants to destroy me."

Mason shook his head, finally breaking out of his daze. "I think that you could definitely take him." he paused, "And then give him to me."

"Can we share," Annie shook her head, staring at Brett as his jersey lifted into the air as he stretched, revealing his "glistening" abs.

I scoffed, and then grabbed Annie, dipping her back in my arms as if we were dancing, and kissed her.

I loved kissing her.

"Hey, Liam!" I shot my eyes open, still kissing Annie. "Think fast!"

It was Brett yelling, and I pushed Annie to her feet and moved my hands just in time to grab the lacrosse ball that was about to hit Mason in the face. I shook my head, dropping the ball to the ground as Brett blushed, ashamed.

"That was so hot," Annie smiled, kissing me once again.