Friggin' Garrett - Chapter Fifteen

A N N I E

I ran down the bleachers. It's the second quarter and Devenford has scored early and often.

Beacon Hills 2 - Devenford 7.

Kira, who somehow smuggled her way into getting on the team, has been watching Garrett, whilst Scott has been keeping an eye on Liam... Not that he needs to. I think I've done a pretty good job, but I want a better view. I stood at the bottom, on the sideline, next to coach, and a few other lacrosse players.

Coach turned to me, "Annie, what the hell are you doing?"

I smirked, "Standing here. What are you doing?"

"Sorry, kid, you can't be down here."

I sighed, reaching into my back pocket and pulling out two ten dollar bills. I waved one in the air, "10 bucks says I can."

Coach eyed me, "$20 and we have a deal."

I rolled my eyes, giving him the other $10. "You know it's illegal take money from students?"

"You know it's illegal to take money from students?" Coach mocked. "I hope you get arrested for bribing a school official."

I scoffed, turning back to the game. "I hope you get hit by a bus."

"I just love our talks, Argent," Coach tucked my money in his back pocket. "Again tomorrow?"

I raised an eyebrow him, "I don't have Econ, Coach."

"That's right," Coach nodded, he looked over at me. "Hell, yeah."

He walked away to find another poor kid to harass. I watched as Scott was in center for the ball against Brett. I cringed as the ref's squeaky whistle blew through the air, and Scott rushed forward, slamming Brett in the shoulder as Brett scooped up the ball. Two boys from Devenford ran together down the court, and as soon as the ball got passed to them, they both charged at Liam. I raised to my feet as they slammed into him, causing him to fly backwards and slam his back into the ground.

"Foul!" I yelled, pointing to Liam on the ground. Coach started yelling at the refs too, but I watched Liam as he pulled himself to his feet. I I could tell that he finally had enough, but I was hoping he wouldn't go this far. He threw off his gloves and ran at the two kids. Scott and Stiles quickly grabbed him, holding him back as the Devenford boys ran away snickering.

The ref's blew their whistles, telling all the players that they needed to return to their positions. They gave a replay call to it, and put Stiles in for Scott. I shook my head when I realized Stiles was swaying and talking to the Devenford player in front of him. Obviously the distraction worked because Stiles scooped the ball and quickly passed it to Kira, who awkwardly stood there, not knowing what to do. I stood up, "Run, Kira! Run!"

Kira looked around and then started down the field at full speed, flying and spinning around people as if she was a bird. "Pass it, Kira!" Coach yelled, but there was no need to, she was fine down the field like a bird... Like a bird! She took that ball all the way to the goal.

I clapped my hands, cheering, but Coach wasn't very excited. "Yukimura! Get over here!" I watched as Kira ran over to Coach. "Take a seat. You're benched for the rest of the game."

I shook my head, if Kira was benched, then no one could be on the field watching Garrett. "Coach, she made a goal." I shook my head.

Coach shrugged, "She didn't pass."

"I had an open shot," Kira defended.

"The play was for you to pass," Coach said harshly. "This is a scrimmage, it's about teamwork, Yukimura. So, you're benched."

I huffed, "But Coach--"

"Annie, sit your ass down or I'll have you removed."

I shook my head, walking to the other end of the bench, but not sitting down. I'm a killer for not following directions. The refs blew their whistles for the... I lost track... how many time, and I watched as Liam ran back to his spot on the field. I moved my eyes to Garrett and made sure to keep my eyes on him, instead of Liam.... which was pretty hard.

Scott was in first line against someone from the other team, and the crowd cheered for our team as Scott scooped the ball and passed it to Danny in the endzone. I kept my eyes pinpointed on Garrett as he ran past Liam down the court, and to Brett. I looked back at Liam just to make sure he was okay, and watched as Brett and him collided into one another, hard.

"Liam!" I stood up, as he crashed to the ground, holding his hand.

The ref's blew their whistle as we scored, and I sprinted out onto the field. Scott sunk down to Brett who was lying in pain on the ground.

"Brett, are you okay?" Scott asked.

People began to surround him, and Coach ran out onto the field. "Okay, back off! Everybody, give him some room!"

Scott stood up and walked over to Liam. I was already pulling off his glove. Liam grunted in pain as I released his hand from the glove... his entire wrist was purple.

Scott eyed Brett on the ground, "How hard did you hit him?"

"I didn't," Liam panted, "he hit me."

Stiles ran over and saw Liam's wrist, giving him a sarcastic, "Owwwww."

Liam breathed deeply as Scott grabbed ahold of his wrist, he was about to pop his bone back into place so it'd heal. "Try not to scream," Scott nodded.

Right as Scott did it, I smashed my lips into Liam's, making him focus on something else... and just so I could do it.

They rolled Brett over on his side, and I opened my eyes as his screams of pain filled the air. The paramedic leaned over, "Okay, Brett, we're going to pick you up now."

Brett groaned as they lifted him onto the stretcher. My eyes drifted onto Garrett who twisted the end of his lacrosse stick, where the blade for his knife would be. "Scott..." I said.

Scott turned to Liam, he must've been watching Garrett too. "Are you cut?" He felt Liam's shoulders. "Did Garret cut you?"

"No, no, I'm okay." Liam shook his head.

I paused, creasing his eyebrows, "Then he missed."

Liam shook his head, "What do you mean?"

I had forgotten that Scott hadn't told him this entire time. What a stupid idea, Liam could gotten himself killed. I sighed, "It's you, Liam. You're the one he's after."

I watched as they wheeled Brett into the boy's locker room. I thought about the possibility that Garrett could have been after someone else... Someone else like Brett. Was it possible that he could be a werewolf? It makes sense... When I touched him today, the hairs on the back my neck stood up, just like they do around unknown supernatural creatures... The possibility of him being one was too strong, and I wasn't going to let the idea go unless I knew the truth.