Video Games - Chapter Forty-Three

A N N I E

I laid upright, supporting my body with my elbows, on Liam's bed, kicking my feet in the air behind me. The bed was freshly made, but I made Liam and Mason sit on the ground to play video games. No one besides Liam and I would be allowed on this bed until he got new sheets... not after what just took place thirty minutes ago.

"Oh!" Mason cried out as his player lost. I had no utter clue at what they were playing, and I didn't care to find out. Liam and Mason chuckled together, "When did you get so good? You been practicing, or did you just suddenly get superhuman reflexes?"

The question made every muscle in my body tighten. Liam looked up at me, and then back to Mason. "Uh... been practicing. Yeah, I've been practicing," Liam stuttered out.

As much as we both love Mason, this isn't his world, and he would crumble if he knew the truth.

Mason sighed, "And I should be studying."

Mason grabbed his bag, throwing it over his shoulder, before walking over to me and giving me a soft kiss on the cheek. "Call me, okay?" he raised his eyebrows at me.

"Of course," I nodded.

Liam shifted his body awkwardly, "Where are you going?" he yelled frantically, stopping Mason at his door.

Mason creased his eyebrows, "Home? I've got a History test tomorrow."

"Come on, one more game." Liam begged, and I realized something was wrong with him.

His heart was beating a mile a minute, and sweat caressed his hairline. I looked up at Mason, who's face read the same expression as my own... Confusion.

"You said that four games ago," Mason laughed the weird way Liam was acting off.

"Study here!" Liam pleaded, "You can stay over. Come on, just one more game... just one."

Something was definitely wrong. He wanted both myself and Mason to stay over? Liam's eyes pleaded for Mason to stay, and Mason looked over at me, confused.

Mason stepped into Liam's room a little further, "You okay?"

Liam looked over at me, and based on my expression, he finally realized how odd he was acting. Liam shook his head, "You're right. You should go. I should probably study too."

Mason looked over at me, and the back to Liam, sighing in sadness. "See you at school."

* * *

The floorboards creaked as I snuggled into bed next to Liam. He had his back facing me, staring at his lamp that he hadn't turned off yet. I reached over and flipped the small switch, turning it off. Liam looked up at me as I slid back down.

I scooted closer to him and buried my face in the back of his neck, intertwining our fingers together, although he wasn't exactly trying to hold mine. Liam began panting, "You're not there."

I shook my head, leaning up, "Liam?"

"You're not there."

He suddenly flipped over, his hand finding my throat and holding me down by it. I couldn't breathe, and I was straining for air. I reached out and failed at hitting Liam in the chest.

His eyes glowed a vibrant gold as his hold got tighter. A tear fell down my face as I reached my hand out, pressing it to his face, and stroking his cheek.

Then, Liam snapped out of whatever daze he was in, and I gasped for air. Liam shook his head, scrambling backwards, and falling off the bed. He took a few more steps back and ran into his desk, shaking his head faster.

"I--I'm so sorry," he ran his hand through his hair.

I set my feet on the floor, getting up to walk over to him, but when I looked up... he was gone.