I Died Right There - Chapter Thirty-Five

L I A M

I stood next to Scott as he explained what had happened to us in my drunken state.

"You see, werewolves can't get drunk. It's something that's counteracted by our healing abilities, so when you and Malia were 'drunk,' I knew something was up. I never guessed it was the music. Somehow the DJ had organized a series of notes and pitches that made us feel weak, and then his body guards took us into the locker room--"

"And tried to burn us alive," I nodded, interrupting him. "I gotcha."

Stiles's phone began to ring, and I watched as he picked it up, running into Scott's living room and saying, "Hey, dad."

I turned back to Scott and shook my head, "So, it was a definite close call tonight, huh?"

Scott nodded sadly, and then immediately tried to change the subject. "So, about you and Annie?"

I smiled, oh, Annie. I love Annie so much. I've never felt this way before. So many emotions flooded my mind just thinking about her, let alone be with her. Oh, my god, and the other night... MIND BLOWING.

"So, what are you guys, exactly?" Scott raised his eyebrows at me.

I opened my mouth to answer the question, when Stiles ran into the room frantically. He gulped, looking down at his phone, and then back up at us. He inhaled, "It's Annie."

I stepped forward, "What do you mean... It's Annie?"

Stiles shook his head, "Something happened... a car accident," Stiles looked at his feet, and then back to me. "We need to get to the hospital right now."

I sprinted out to my car, and the next thing I know, Scott's arm was flung around my chest, pulling me into Stiles's jeep, and we were driving down the road. I started panting, sobbing hysterically. Scott clung to me, half my body draped on the floor of Stiles's jeep, the other leaning on him. Scott looked over at Stiles, and then back down to me, and I shook my head, finally asking the question I've been needing to ask, "Is she dead?"

Stiles shook his head, "Isaac was driving to surprise her when he passed her, and watched her car drive off the bridge leading to Eichen House, and jumped in after her. Isaac pulled Mason out first, but Annie was unconscious when he got to her. He said she was in..." Stiles gulped, "cardiac arrest when he found her."

I died, emotionally, right there. None of this seemed real...

"We're here," Scott said, pulling me to my feet and out of the car.

I found myself sprinting to the doors, flinging myself inside the lobby with an enormous force, only to be caught before I fell to the ground by Scott. The room was spinning, like in a tornado of mist, swirling around and around.

Sheriff stood mere feet away from us, and he pushed Stiles back as he went to run past him. Stiles punched the air, cursing behind his breath. Scott had tears flooding his eyes, but none fell to his cheeks... much less than I could say for myself.

A boy I've never seen walked behind Sheriff, and Scott stuck his hand out to him, holding the other boy's in mid air. They both nodding to each other, as if Scott was thanking him.

"Dad," Stiles ran his hand through his hair, licking his lips nervously, "is she going to be okay?"

"What happened?" I shot the question at him, and he looked down at me. "Is she okay? What's happening right now? Who saved her from the water? How's she doing? Why can't I see her? Why--"

"Liam," Sheriff said sternly, and I panted, leaning down onto one of the hospital chairs, and catching my breath... trying to catch my breath. "I don't know," Sheriff replied to my question, his voice catching several times. "She hit her head on impact, and lost a lot of blood, but th--there's something else going on with her."

I shook my head, standing up, and running past Sheriff, following Annie's scent to the ICU. I ran up to a window, looking in at her with my dad and two other nurses, including Melissa, standing around her. Melissa pushed a strand of hair out of her face, and stroked her hand down Annie's face, while Annie laid lifeless.

Was she dead?

I closed my eyes, focusing. Focusing on her. I couldn't hear anything, and suddenly...

thump.

It was faint, weak, unhealthy... but it was a heartbeat. I heard Scott's feet hit the floor as he walked up to me, but my eyes stayed glued on Annie as he stood next to me.

"She--she was headed back to get her phone," Scott said. "Mason told us that she was driving, and then a wolf came from no where, and she jerked the wheel, sending them off the bridge. Mason went unconscious on impact, so that's all he remembers." Scott sighed, looking down at his feet. "Isaac, the guy that you saw in the lobby, saw the accident. He jumped in after the two, and when he got to their car, Annie was still conscious."

"Then what the hell happened?" I asked harshly, immediately backing down in regret.

Scott gulped, "Annie made Isaac save Mason first, and when Isaac came back down for Annie, she was unconscious."

I closed my eyes, feeling the dull ache that lingered in them. "Scott--"

"Hey," Scott put his hand on my shoulder, "it's going to be okay. She's going to be okay. I promised, no one else is going to die...
Especially not Annie."