Chapter 67 "The Way It Seems"

*Two days after Nat had woken up from his inncident, Kenzie takes him home.*

                                                          *Kenzie's P.O.V.*

When Nat & I arrived back home, I helped Nat get out of the car & walk him inside our house. The triplets were staying at Polly & Michael's house over the weekend so then I could spend time taking care of Nat. I was relieved that Nat was going to be okay after he got shot by Justin again. Nat & I still didn't know why they were still after our family. According to Nat, he said that he broke up with Margaret because she was really naughty & bitchy. Also, Margaret didn't care about Nat at all. She only dated him because of his "fame". 

After I helped Nat walk into the living room, I went back outside to get the mail. 

I sighed. "Bills, bills, bills."

"Is something wrong, Kenzie?" asked Nat.

"No, nothing's wrong," I said. "We just got a crap load of bills in the mail. Most of them are from being in & out of the E.R."

"Oh," he said.

As I looked through the pile of mail, I noticed a sealed pink envelope. I opened it up & read what was inside. "Uh, honey?" I asked, walking to his side. "You might want to look at this."

I gave Nat the envelope & he read it. "You have to go to court."

"For what, exactly?" I asked. "I haven't done anything."

"I recognize this person," he said. "Andrew Owen."

"Who's he?" I asked.

Nat sighed, then he looked at me. "Margaret's lawyer."

"Shit," I said. "Well, why do I have to go to court?"

"You have to go because Margaret shot me & I almost died," he said. "If the jury finds Margaret guilty, she will go to a federal prison, where hopefully she won't ever escape."

"What about Justin?" I asked.

"Justin hasn't been caught yet," he said. 

I nodded. "When does it say that I have to go to court?" I asked.

"April fourth," he said.

"That's next week," I said. "The kids will be on spring break, & your parents are going on that cruise, right?"

"Yeah," said Nat.

"I'll need to find a lawyer," I said. "Oh. I just remembered. My friend Jared, who I've known since I was in middle school is a lawyer! I'll contact him!-"

"-Woah, woah, woah," said Nat. "Kenzie, I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Well, you haven't seen each other in years," he said. "Do you even think that he'll remember you as that girl from middle school?"

"He might," I said. "I mean, we're friends on Facebook. But we haven't talked in years."

"That's my point," he said. "It's been years since you two have talked or seen each other. He won't remember you."

I sighed. "Well, I'm going to try to get ahold of him. If I do, & he agrees to help me out in court, I won't say I told you so."

"Alright," Nat yawned. 

I covered Nat up with a blanket. "Do you want to watch something on t.v.?" I asked.

"Sure," he said. "I'll most likely fall asleep though."