Chapter 81 "The Circle of Life"

*The weeks went by. Nat now weighed one hundred & twelve pounds. He was even more sick than he had ever was before. He still continued to have seizures, a lot more frequently than usual.*

                                                                         *Kenzie's P.O.V.*

I haven't left the hospital in months. I couldn't leave Nat here by himself, because if I did, he would've seized more, & by the time I would've gotten back to him, he would've been dead. Nat had to get a feeding tube inside of him a few weeks ago, but he got an infection from it. Now, he won't eat a thing, he'll only sleep for most of the day. When it was nighttime, he would sleep for a little while, then he would have a seizure, or sometimes, more than one. He was sick. Now, he's dying. I told Nat what Alex had said about me taking his place in their band. He told me that everything that Alex told me was true. He wanted me to take his place. He wants me to be happy, even when he passes away. He wants me to do & be all these things, but honestly, I don't think I can do any of them. 

As I watched my husband sleep in his hospital bed, I couldn't do anything but cry. Suddenly, I felt my phone vibrate inside my pocket. Nate's picture popped up on my screensaver. 

"Hello?" I asked. 

"Hey mom," said Nate. "How are you?"

"I'm fine I guess," I said, wiping my tears.

"You're crying," he said. "That's not good."

I shook my head. "Your father is dying, Nate. He won't do anything on his own, he still continues to have seizures, & his heart,-"

"-I know, mom," he said. "Is there anything that me or anyone else can do to help?"

"I don't know," I said. 

"Okay," he said.

I saw Nat wake up a little bit. "I have to go," I said. "Your father just woke up from his nap."

"Alright," he said. "The family is going to stop by the hospital later tonight to see him."

"That's fine," I said. "Bye Nate, I love you."

"I love you too, mom," he said.

I hung up the phone & turned to Nat. "Hi honey," I whispered. "I'm sorry I woke you up."

"Kenzie, I don't feel so good," Nat moaned. 

"Are you going to puke?" I asked.

Nat nodded. Before I could give him a bucket to puke in, he already started to do it on the opposite side of his bed. After a few minutes, he stopped.

"I'm sorry Kenzie," he said, slurring his words.

"Nat, are you okay?" I asked. "Why are you sounding so strange?"

"I-I'm not acting strange!" he said. "Y-You're the one who's acting strange!"

"How am I acting strange?" I asked. 

"I-I don't know!" he said. "You just are, okay?"

"Nat, I will not be arguing with you right now!" I said. "I'm only doing what's best for you!"

"I DON'T CARE!" he yelled. 

I shook my head. "I'm not going to fight with you," I said. "If you don't want my help, fine. I'll just sit here & give you the silent treatment. How's that?"