Chapter 65 "The Sun Will Find Us All, Eventually"

*A few days after Alex's car accident, Nat was going to pick him up after he picked up the triplets from school.*

                                                                      *Nat's P.O.V.*

I drove into the parking lot of the kids' school. I arrived about fifteen minutes early, so I decided to wait in my car for a bit. I was bored. Within a few seconds, I received a text from Alex.

"Hey Nat, when are you going to get here?" he asked.

"I'll be there in a little while," I said. "I just arrived at the kids' school, & I'm a bit early. They should be out of school in like 15 minutes."

"Oh," he said. "Well, take your time. I'm not in any hurry to get out of this hell house."

"Okay," I said.

After waiting for about fifteen minutes, I saw the kids running up to my car. I got out of the driver's seat & helped my sons get in. 

"How was school today, guys?" I asked.

"School was great, Daddy!" said Nate.

"Awesome!" I said, then I looked at Shane & Jason. "How was your day, you two?"

Shane crossed his arms. "I don't like school! It's so dumb!"

"Why is it so dumb?" I asked.

"The teacher gave us homework, AGAIN!" he complained.

I smiled. "Well Shane, that's a part of life," I said. "Did I ever tell you about the song Daddy wrote when he was younger, about not wanting to go to school?"

Shane looked at me. His eyes widened. "WHAT? Daddy, you CAN'T be serious about this, are you?"

"I'm telling you the truth, son," I said. "I think I have the CD in here somewhere. We can listen to it while I drive to the hospital to pick up Uncle Alex."

"YAY! UNCLE ALEX!" Shane yelled.

"Daddy, what happened to Uncle Alex?" asked Jason. "Why is he at the hospital?"

I took a deep breath & went down to Jason's eye level. "The other day while your uncle was on his way to pick you guys up from school, someone hit his car & he got into a car accident."

"Woah!" said Shane. "That sounds so cool!"

I gave Shane a dirty look.

"Uh, I mean, poor Uncle Alex!" he said.

I looked at my phone. "We should head to the hospital now," I said. "I don't want to keep your uncle waiting."

"Okay Daddy!" they all said.

"Daddy, I'm hungry," said Nate.

"I brought snacks for all of you," I said, then handed Nate the bag of snacks. "Each one of you gets three cookies & a juicebox, okay?"

"Thanks Daddy!" said Nate.

"You're welcome," I said.

*Nat drives to the hospital. When they arrive at the hospital, they went into Alex's room.*

I knocked on the door. "Knock knock."

"Who's there? asked Alex. 

"It's your older, yet sexier brother, & your little nephews," I said.

Alex smiled, shaking his head. "Come on in!"

I opened the door & walked into his room with the triplets. "Hey Alex."