Awkward Ride Home - Chapter Fifty

Start from the beginning

Stiles scoffed, knowing that it was something Derek had bought from a convenient store, and was only pretending that it was some powerful object to focus on. I kicked him, trying to get him to recognize what we were doing, and he nodded, smiling. "Yes, it's powerful," he cleared his throat, "very powerful."

Liam swung his head back, fangs emerging from his mouth. "Whatever you're going to teach me," he pushed them away, "I think you better start."

Liam breathed heavily, as his eyes were beginning to glow a neon gold, and claws grew from his fingertips. "Liam, are you with me?" Derek touched his shoulder, and Liam looked up at him, growling. I scooted back into Stiles, falling into his lap. Any other time, Stiles and I would immediately laugh off the awkward situation, but right now, I stayed in his lap... I actually grabbed his hand to help calm me.

"We have a mantra that we use," Derek yelled over Liam's panting and thrashing. "You repeat it, you focus on the words! It's like meditating! You say the words and you feel the power coming back to you!"

"Okay, okay, okay!" Liam growled, "What are they!?"

"Okay, look at the symbol." Derek grabbed Liam's hand that was cramped around the talisman. "It's the triskelion. I have a tattoo on my back, it's the same thing! Each spiral means something! Alpha, Beta, Omega! It represents the idea that we can always rise to one and fall back to another. Betas can become Alphas, Alphas can become Betas."

Liam panted through his fangs, looking down at the talisman. "Can Alphas become Omegas?"

I looked over at Derek, thinking of Peter, but Derek ignored Liam's comment. "Listen, all you have to do is say the three words, and with each one, you'll feel yourself getting calmer... more in control. Go ahead!"

"Alpha, Beta--"

Derek interrupted him, "Slower."

"Alpha... Beta... Omega," Liam groaned out, digging his nails into his pants. "Alpha... Beta... Omega..."

"Good, now remember every time you say it, you're getting calmer," Derek coached.

"Alpha... Beta... Omega." Liam choked out, and his the mantra seemed to be failing as his fangs grew larger in his mouth.

"Say it again!" Derek yelled.

Stiles shook his head, looking at Liam as he struggled to keep control. "Derek, I don't think the powerful talisman of self-control is working!"

"Liam, say it again!" Liam roared, punching the metal roof and making a dent. "Liam!"

Liam roared again, punching the metal cage that protected Braeden as she drove. I fell off of Stiles and onto the ground as she swerved on the road at Liam's sudden impact.

"Derek?!" Braeden called, keeping her eyes on the road.

Derek scooted back in his seat, "I think we're going to need to go a little faster!" Derek turned back to Liam, "Keep going! Liam! Liam!"

Liam shot a hand up and connected it with Derek's jaw. Derek blinked his eyes, shaking it off, as he turned back to him. "Liam! Stay in control! Keep focus!"

"Derek, I don't think Alpha, Beta, Omega is resonating with him," Stiles said.

"You know any other mantras!?" Derek flipped on us.

Liam groaned, and I nodded my head, "Yeah, I do."

I went to swap places with Derek, but Stiles grabbed my wrist, which I forcefully pulled back. "He won't hurt me," I said assuringly.

Derek scooted underneath me as I traded him places. I put my hands on Liam's face, rubbing his cheeks with my thumbs. "Liam, Liam!"

He looked up at me, his face cringing with pain. I nodded, "What are three things that cannot long be hidden?" Liam groaned, shaking free of my grasp, and I grabbed his hand. "Liam! Liam, look at me! What three things cannot long be hidden? What three things?!"

Liam grunted, inhaling sharply, "Sun... the moon... the truth."

I nodded, "That's it. Say it again."

Liam inhaled, and I saw as the relief pool through him. "The sun... the moon... the truth."

"Derek?" Braeden called back once more.

Derek sighed, "We're okay."

"The sun, the moon, and the truth," Liam said one last time, the final gold dissipating from his eyes. He smiled up at me, as he was fully human, "I can't believe you did it."

I jumped on him, kissing him passionately. Liam laughed, breaking the kiss. "For a minute there, I thought I was gonna tear you guys apart."

"Yeah," Stiles huffed, wiping the sweat off of his forehead, "that would have made for an awkward ride home... So thanks."

Braeden stopped the van and we all looked out into the dark night of Mexico. She exhaled, "Do you think you can bring the same level of control inside La Iglesia?"

Liam looked up at me, and laced his fingers with mine nodding. And Stiles inhaled, "Alright, we might actually be able to do this."