chapter 36

Chloe POV

It was like my heart had been ripped right out of my chest. It pained me to see my newborn daughter already in danger. As her mother it is my job to keep her safe in every possible way and I had already failed her. There is Sandra dressed in a nurses outfit holding my daughter with her left arm and a gun pointed at me in her right. Where the fuck is she getting these guns, shit if I know but where ever or whoever she is getting it from just needs to quit already. It was only a matter of time before my sweet baby girl woke up. I am scared to think what would happen if she does. 

“Sandra, what are you doing?” I spoke as calmly as I could.

“Isn’t it obvious I am here to look at my new daughter.” She looked down at a sleeping baby. Right at that moment William walked into the room looking right at me with a smile on his face. In his hands are roses and balloons still not aware of the situation at hand I ignored him and looked back at Sandra. The moment he followed my eyesight I heard the roses fall to the floor.

“Sandra, what do you think you're doing?” He all but shouted, causing the baby to wake. I couldn’t help but glare at him. I know he is probably panicking but seriously control yourself dude. I went back to Sandra and looked at my crying baby.

“Sandra, you need to listen to me. She is probably hungry, why don’t you just hand her to me so I can feed her?” I slowly got up from the bed and was about to walk over to her until she pointed the gun right at me.

“No no no she is my baby I will feed her. Yeah I will feed her.”

“Sandra, baby listen.” This time it was William who spoke in a gentle calming way to get her attention. “What if I hold her? Do you think it is safe to have a gun and the baby at the same time? As her mother you want to keep her safe right? So what other better safe place then her father right?” Sandra hesitated for a moment before nodding her head. Never taking her eyes off me and still pointing the gun at me William grabbed my daughter but was also looking at the gun. Always trying to be the hero I spoke before he took action. 

“Why don’t you take the baby out of here so she isn’t around such violence?” I looked at Sandra and she nodded her head. William hesitated for a moment, you can tell he was debating his option but in the end logic won and he knew he had to get our daughter out of here. I could do this, if I have to die to keep my daughter safe I will do so in a heartbeat. Her safety matters more than my own.once they left the room it was just us two.

“So this is it Sandra, this is how you want to end things. With me dead and you behind bars never being able to see Cole?” I had to reason with her at least I never said I won’t go down without a fight and knowing William the cops and security are already on their way. 

“They would understand I was just doing this for my family. I was just protecting my family from you. You are the dangerous one here, not me.”

“But I’m not the one with the gun.” As if she realizes that she lowers the gun but quickly raised it back up again.

“You’re just trying to get into my head. I won’t let you. I’ve done nothing wrong. It’s you, all of this is happening because of you.” I slowly started making my way towards her but with each step I took forward she took one back. By the time I was in front of her, her back was against the window. Standing this close to the window I can hear the police sirens. 

“Just hand me the gun Sandra. I will tell them this was just a mistake.” She was shaking her head no, tears were pouring down her cheeks and she was slapping herself. I knew she was hearing things and she was just confused. Honestly I felt bad for her. The security guards and a couple of nurses were now standing behind me. “Sandra, come on just listen to me.” I reached out my hand but it was no use, she screamed from the top of her lungs and turned around and shot the window. I ducked from the impact of glass shattering everywhere. When I came to she was standing on the ledge. “SANDRA NOOOOO.” I ran up to her when she was about to jump. 

Trying to avoid the glass was no use. A sharp pointed piece of glass was already dug into my forearm and at the end of my arm was Sandra. I managed to catch her. 

“Why? Why would you try to save me?” Sandra cried. “Just let me go please, just let me go. I can’t live like this anymore. Please I just want the voices to stop.” she was scratching my hand to let hers go, but I held on. I won’t let her go. I can’t what would that say about me? And what about Cole?

“Sandra, this is a shitty situation I know but think of Cole he needs his mother you just can’t leave him.” 

“No he doesn’t.” She whispered. My heart hurt for her but at the same time it pained me because of what was happening. The blood from my forearm was leaking down to my hand and I was starting to lose my grip on her.

“Sandra hold on ok. CAN ONE OF YOU ASSHOLES THAT ARE JUST STANDING AROUND HELP ME.”

“Just let me go, it's ok.” now it was me that was crying because at the end of the day I know what was going to happen and there was nothing I could do about it. With one last smile she said “Tell Cole I am sorry and that I love him.” she closed her eyes and slipped from my hands. There was no regrets on her face just peace. But that still didn’t help what I was feeling. If only I tried hard. If only was all I could think of If only.