32

AMAR'S POV

The minute I walk into my house late Sunday afternoon my mom wraps her arms around my middle.

"Oh honey! I am so sorry!" She apologies, but I wasn't upset with her.

I hug my mom back, "Mama, I'm not mad at you, it's okay." I console her.

She pulls away, "I just feel so bad," she puts her hands on my cheeks, "I am so proud of you for sticking up for us like that." She looks me in the eyes.

I smile slightly, "Thanks."

She pulls my face down to hers so she can kiss my forehead, and she is quite a bit shorter than me, "I love you honey."

"I love you too, mama."

We both sit on the couch. It's quiet until I speak up, "How come you never told me anything about him?" I had to ask, that question is always on the back of my mind.

She lets out a heavy sigh, "I was worried about your reaction...I also feared you would try to find him, choose him over me." She explains, not looking in my direction.

"Oh mom, come on, you know I wouldn't." I almost laugh, it'd be absurd if I were to pick him over my mom, "He literally left you and you're the one that raised me, I wouldn't chose him even if he paid me to do so."

She smiles sadly, "I know you wouldn't honey, but it's just- a worry I constantly had in the back of my mind...But not anymore, not after you told him off like that... I'm so proud of you Amar." She tells me again.

- - -

Today is the day.

It's been a week since I'd met Richard, the man who impregnated my mother with me over 18 years ago and left her to raise me. I'll never consider him my dad.

With everything that had happened that weekend I had forgotten what was happening a week from then, today.

Today I graduate high school.

Now I sit in my schools humid gym surrounded by everyone else in my class wearing the matching graduation cap and gowns. I listen to our principal talk on about inspirational crap that won't resonate with me, then I zone out as our class valedictorian drones on and on about more inspirational crap then finally, finally, we go on to actually receiving our diplomas.

I hear the principal call out names followed by applause. But there are only two names that I could actually care about.

"Jane Hua."

I clap louder than I had been, as I watch Jane stand up from her seat, her long black hair that cascades out of her cap trailing behind her as she walks up to receive her well-deserved diploma.

I can't help but let out a cheer for her, but blush insanely as people stare at me. She does glance at me with a huge smile on her face and waves, so that made my embarrassment worth it.

Soon my name is called.

"Amar Johnson."

I hear my mom let out a cheer from the crowd and I can't help but smile.

I shake hands with my principal and take my diploma then return to my seat.

I glance at the towards a seat a few rows back that occupies the cutest blonde I've ever seen.

We lock eyes and smile to one another. His face flushes and I feel my heart swell.

I turn back towards the front and listen to the names that continued to be called out.