29

AMAR'S POV

I sit on the couch texting Adrian about our plans for hanging out on Saturday, tomorrow, when I hear a triple knock at the front door. My face contorts in confusion.

It's 8 o'clock on a Friday, who the hell is here?

"Amar sweetheart? Will you please get that for me?" My moms voice calls out from her bedroom.

"Yes mama!" I respond.

I walk over to the door and open it up, revealing a tall man with hazel eyes staring at me, a cold expression on his face. When he sees me his eyebrows raise, almost like he's judging every aspect of me. A weird feeling sweeps over me.

He looks strangely familiar with his dark curly hair, pale slightly wrinkled skin and dark circles around his eyes. He's quite handsome though. He isn't much taller than me. Maybe about an inch or half an inch taller.  He couldn't be much older than my mom, maybe in his early 40s?

"Can I help you?" I ask, confused as to who this is.

"Hi uh, yeah, is Aaliyah here?" He seems to take a more nervous stance. Rocking back and forth between his feet. I furrow my brows.

What does this man want from my mom?

"Uh yeah. Let me go get her, just stay here for a sec."

I close the door and walk to my moms room,"Hey mom someone is here for you." I state poking my head into her room.  She seems to have just finished putting on her makeup on for her shift at the bakery tonight.

"Hmm, alright thank you hun." She stands up from her vanity and walks past me to the front door, seeming just as confused as me.

I stand behind her as she opens the door.

"Hi how can I-" she stop mid sentence and gasps.

"Amar, go to your room." She states quietly, but forceful.

"Mom?"

"Room. Now." She speaks again, still staring at the man.

I reluctantly follow her orders and walk into my room, closing the door.

I try to listen to the muffled conversation through the wall.

"Richard what in god's name are you doing here?!" My mom angrily asks the man.

Richard?

"Aaliyah, I came to see you two. " he answers back in his deep voice.

You two? Is he talking about me and my mom? If so how does he know me? How does he know my mom?

"You-you need to leave." She stutters, but her voice is still very authoritative.

"No Aaliyah please-"

"No, you ruined your chance when you left 18 years ago!"

He was definitely talking about me. He better not be-

"I'm his father I deserve to see him!" He booms.

My world stops, everything feels slow motion. No no no no no.

"You may be his biological dad but you will never be his father!"

"Aaliyah, please." He begs.

I still am unable to focus on anything. My knees feel weak. I stumble backwards and hit my bed. My jaw slacked in shock. My hands are shaking. I'm no longer able to hear their voices.

Father? Father.

The man that broke my moms heart at 23.

The man I never met and had grown to hate none the less.