“This…” Tingzhu was put on the spot. “Gao gongong, earlier, Her Highness instructed us slaves not to speak too much. May Gonggong not make things difficult for us.”  

“You and I both serve masters. This gongong understands.” A sigh left Gao Dezhong’s lips. “His Majesty understands Her Highness’ intention.” It finally hit him that this Xianrong Zhao truly loved the emperor. Otherwise, why would she secretly make the soup but not tell the emperor she had?      

After hearing his words, Yunxi bowed to Gao Dezhong. “Gongong is perceptive of even the finest detail. However, may Gongong keep this from His Majesty. This slave will thank Gonggong for the large favor here.”

Other masters would think of ways to show off in front of the emperor. But this Xianrong Zhao was afraid of letting the emperor learn about her love. Gao Dezhong noticed Yunxi’s worried appearance, and nodded to show his agreement. He wouldn’t take the initiative to talk about it, but whether the emperor would ask him was anyone’s guess.  

As for the emperor, he visited the imperial harem many times. Zhuang Laoyan thought the emperor would merely chat with her under the blankets. Never had she imagined he would be in the mood, and greatly at that. After they made love, Zhaung Laoyan crawled on top of the emperor’s chest with her hair let down. She thought, who knows if the emperor would squish and hug me as we sleep tonight.

“Master, it’s getting late. Your honored self should go to bed.” Chenxi draped an outer robe over Noble Lady Ning’s shoulders. She saw Noble Lady Ning still stroking the zither the emperor had bestowed her, and said, “His Majesty went over to Xihe Palace today. He wouldn’t be coming here.”    

“Yes, he is the emperor. The emperor of all the women in the imperial harem. He doesn’t only belong to me.” Noble Lady Ning smiled, bitter in its appearance. She rose to her feet and made her way next to the window. Gazed in the direction of Xihe Palace. “Originally, I was unwilling to enter the imperial palace. But the emperor’s tenderness and doting toward me made me forget this was the harem.”

“Master, you mustn’t think like this. His Majesty naturally treats you well. Cairen Hua and Cairen Yan, who entered the palace at the same time as you, still have not attended to the emperor.” Chenxi put away the zither. “After Master entered the palace, the emperor visited your honored self many times. Furthermore, he has rewarded you many things. And after you entered the palace, many rumors have sprung up about you. So how could the emperor continue to stay overnight here?”  

“You don’t need to console me.” Noble Lady Ning smiled in an indifferent manner. “There are many women in the imperial harem. Wherever the emperor decides to go is right and proper. Not to mention, Xianrong Zhao was originally favored. It’s natural for the emperor to visit her.”  

Recalling the short conversation in the imperial harem that she had with Xianrong Zhao, Noble Lady Ning no longer looked in Xihe Palace’s direction. Although Xianrong Zhao wasn’t multi-talented, due to her easy-going personality, the emperor favored her a lot.  

Feng Jin woke up early in the morning. He had breakfast with Zhuang Laoyan, a rare occurrence. She held a bowl of pearl-polished non-glutinous rice congee. “Waking up early is truly peaceful.”

“With your lazy personality, you should wake up early more often to exercise.” Feng Jin picked up a slice of flaky pastry and placed it into Zhuang Laoyan’s bowl. “Don’t just stay in your palace every day. Walking more is good for your health.”  

“This concubine has walked,” said Zhuang Laoyan. “Yesterday, this concubine encountered Her Highness Consort Ning and Noble Lady Ning in the imperial gardens. The crabapple blossoms Her Highness Consort Ning had painted were such a sight for the eyes.”