Chapter 26: Solo (Or, a section of music played by a single performer)

Asuka awoke the next morning in the arms of Kurama. She was pulled taught against his body, surrounded by him as he spooned her. His glorious raspberry hair fell over her face.

Was this real? Was she dead? Or perhaps she was still laying on the floor in front of Enma's weapon, ready to die and hallucinating. That seemed far more likely than waking up in the arms of the man she loved.

He stretched behind her and she turned around to find emerald eyes and a contented smile.

"Morning," he whispered.

"Morning."

"How do you feel?"

"Weird," she said honestly. "My ki feels off, and so does my body."

Kurama reached for her and threaded his hand through hers. He exhaled a shaky breath while anger flashed across his features.

"What is it?"

He grit his teeth. "I found you strapped to a table with some kind of electric device channeling energy to the center of your body. They were trying to force your ki to reconvert to Seikoki, Asuka."

Her eyes widened.

"You may not feel up to confirming this right now," Kurama said, "But the attempted... procedure might've made you lose your Foresight, and that's why you stopped having visions."

She could hear the bile in his voice and the effort he was putting in to remain calm.

Asuka closed her eyes in an attempt to stave off tears. Though it was an accident, Enma, in his greediness, had most likely stripped her of her powers. It explained everything.

"I...I never could've guessed this would happen. And in the other alternate timelines this scenario never came up. We never talked about it, not once."

I could've inflicted so much less pain if I'd known.

"Don't feel guilty, Asuka. Please."

She opened her eyes to find the man she loved brimming over with worry.

"Based on everything you've said, what happened was the only way to save everyone. I didn't think you were dead for very long, and in the end, it no longer matters. What matters is us here, right now."

He brought her hand to his chest. She felt his heart beat against her palm, and it anchored her to the present, and to him.

"If you did lose your Foresight, how would that make you feel?"

She gave a choked laugh. "Not being strong anymore would be disappointing, and I'd feel bad about not being able to see the future, but... I'd be free, Kurama."

He nodded. "No one should have to shoulder a burden like the future."

His emerald eyes stared deep into her soul, and it made her heart jump. She threaded her fingers through his hair, stunned. After everything she'd been through, was she really here with him?

"Kurama?" she trembled. "Is this real? Am I alive?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?" she whispered.

"Let me prove it to you."

Kurama gently brought her to his mouth. His human lips were plumper, and his tongue smoother than his Yoko form. Asuka whimpered, and he swallowed it.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer as they lay side by side kissing.

I love you, she thought as she swirled her tongue around his.