Chapter 55, Part 3

Merlin's P. O. V:

We resume making our way through the forest the next dawn. My mind was focused on finding my wife, trapped and alone in that horrible place.

I walk next to Eric, keeping my gaze ahead. He looks at me as he asks, "You alright?"

"I can't bee to lose her, Eric," I say.

"I know. I know how much my sister means to you," The Prince says.

"We can't waste anymore time. Ari needs us. I have to get to her," I murmur.

"If anyone can survive The Dark Tower, it's her—and Gwen," Eric tells me,

I remember what the faerie Queen, Mab said to me last night:

You have the mind's eye, Emrys.

Eric gently clasps my shoulder as we continue to push our way through the thick, tangled forest.

We pause as Arthur stabs his sword into the earth. He says, "We need to find the clearing where we saw the Doleres Plains."

Ryder asks, "Which way is that?"

"North," I state, causing everyone to jerk their heads to me. I turn to face the knights fully as I plead, "Please, I know I can get us there. I wouldn't do anything to risk Gwen's or Ariella's lives. I can get us to The Dark Tower. I am certain." The others, except for Eric, look the exact opposite. "I know what Gwen and Ariella mean to you—to all of us." Their silence gave me the answer I need. "We need to head north."

"Which way is that, Merlin?" Arthur demands to know.

"That way," I reply, pointing to my right.

"No," Arthur denies, looking up at the canopy. "It's..." He trails off as sunlight pours through the canopy, and the shadow of Arthur's sword tilts in the same direction is pointed to. "... over there. How on earth would you know that?" Arthur demands as he points towards me.

"Sense of smell," I answer, gesturing to my nose. Upon seeing the men's questioning looks, I explain, "When the wind is from the north, you can smell the sea."

"That's ridiculous."

"Trust me just this once."

"I know I do," Eric speaks up first, and I give him a grateful look.

Elyan nods his head as he says to Arthur, "Arthur, give him a chance. Especially if Eric is willing to." The dark skinned knight draws his long sword as he heads in the direction id followed.

Leon grumbles, "What choice do we have?"

Everyone else unsheathes their weapons and Eric gives me a small smile as he follows me into the trees.

"Are you sure this is the right way, Merlin?" Arthur asks and I use my magic to light the right path, heading to my near right. And I find Percival's broken sword.

I jerk with my chin for them to follow me, and we pause further into the trees.

"Merlin!" Percival exclaims, picking up his broken weapon. "You're a genius!"

Arthur and I climb up a log and we spy The Dark Tower in the distance, the red sky behind it.

Arthur claps my shoulder as he asks, "Which way now?"