Chapter 9, Part 2

Third Person's P. O. V:

"Bites, bruises, burns, wounds..." Merlin murmurs to himself as he flips through the pages of Gaius's medical book, trying to find the page he needed. Merlin smiles to himself when he finally lands on the page he was looking for. "Infections."

Merlin then starts looking at and taking different jars from the shelves in front of him to heal the Druid boy's wound. Just when he was packing up everything and was about to leave, the door to Gaius's chambers open, and the physician walks in.

"Ah, there you are," Gaius says, walking up to him. Merlin mentally curses himself. "I need you to find some more heather for me."

"Err, can I do it later? I was just going out," Merlin asks as he tries to reach for the door.

Gaius was about to let him leave when his eyes land on the book, open on the table.

"Who set this book out?" Gaius asks his nephew.

Merlin follows his gaze to the book and says quickly, "Oh, it was me. I was doing some reading."

Gaius appears genuinely surprised by this. He says, "Really? I'd almost given up hope that you'd take an interest in my work. Please tell me that Ariella's habit of reading all day has finally rubbed off on you?"

"Yeah, it's fascinating. So, I guess you can say her reading habit has rubbed off on me," Merlin responds. 'Well, maybe only a little,' The ravenette thinks. He actually did really enjoy whenever the princess would sit with him and read to him. He loved hearing the sound of her voice.

"Merlin, you're a riddle wrapped up in a mystery," Gaius utters.

"Yup. That's me. I was just getting some cleaning supplies. Arthur's been complaining about the state of his chambers lately," Merlin says before he makes another attempt toward the door.

"I think Arthur's chambers can wait. I'm not about to miss this chance to start your education," Gaius says before Merlin could even turn the doorknob.

"Really, I should go—"

"Sit!" Gaius interrupts, and Merlin slowly sits down at the table, letting out a reluctant sigh. "We'll start with some basic anatomy."

Merlin's eyes widen to the size of plates when Gaius sets a couple of really thick books down in front of him with a heavy thud.

'This could take awhile... I hope Ari won't be too mad at me for being late,' Merlin thinks.

Ariella's P. O. V:

I wait with Morgana and Eric for Merlin to get the medical supplies needed to heal the Druid boy. I'd brought Luna in with me to keep us and the boy company while we wait.

Though, I was mad that it was taking Merlin this long to gather medical supplies!

"Where is he? What could be taking him so long?" Morgana asks as she paces a bit, looking anxious. It was now nighttime, and we'd been waiting for hours.

"Don't worry, Morgana, he'll be here," I say assuringly.

"What if he doesn't come in time?" Morgana asks, looking at me.

I sigh as I say, "If it'll help take your mind off things, you could hold Luna for awhile?" Morgana frowns at my slight sarcasm, though my expression was serious. I continue to rub my fingers through her silky fur.