Chapter 14, Part 2

Merlin's P. O. V:

While Ari went to prepare for the journey, I did the same as I return to the Physician Quarters. When I enter, I see that Gaius is swirling some clear liquid in a vial.

He looks up and says once he sees me, "Merlin. You're back. I need your help. We must get this to Arthur to ease his passing." Gaius studies the vial as I rush past him to grab a small bag.

I say defiantly, "No. We have to save him!"

Gaius looks back at me as he reminds me, "You and Ariella have already tried."

I say as I wrap some cheese in the cloth for the journey, "The beast comes from the Old Religion—the cure must come from there, as well."

Gaius says, "There are not that many left for such an art. And, Ari is not yet nearly strong enough for such magic, despite having the blood of a High Priestess in her veins."

I remind my uncle as I grab a water skin and tap the table as I reply, "You've said yourself: the Old Religion's still alive, and there's an island, beyond the White Mountains—"

"No!" Gaius abruptly exclaims as he steps around the table, and rests his hand on a rung in the ladder beside him.

I pause as I gaze back at Gaius and ask, "The Isle of the Blessed. Yo know it...?"

Blinking his eyes a couple of times and inclining his head, Gaius responds, "It was said to be the centre of the Old Religion. The focus of its power."

"Why did you keep this from me? Or Ari, for that matter, considering her heritage?" I demand to know.

"Because it was too dangerous, Merlin," He tells me.

"It's our only chance!" I say, making him blink again as he raises his head. "I have to find it!"

I step around Gaius and place the bag on the table as Gaius questions me, "And, once you and Ariella are there, what are you going to ask?"

"For Arthur to be saved," I reply unwaveringly, leaning my hands on the table.

"The Questing Beast chose Arthur! That means the Old Religion has decided his fate!"

"Then Ari and I will convince them to change their mind!"

"It is not that simple!" Gaius yells, causing me to jerk my head to him. "The High Priestess has the power to mirror life and death, but... there will be a price to pay! They will demand a life in return." Gaius steps closer to me as he whispers, voice pleading, "Merlin, please! I beg of you!"

"I'm sorry, Gaius! Whatever the price is, I will pay it gladly," I reply, my eyes not leaving his.

I knew that Ari feels that same way; she would do anything for those she loves, even if she had to sacrifice herself.

But I won't let her this time, because I love her too much to let Ari do that.

I turn away to finish packing my bag.

Ariella's P. O. V:

As Merlin and I finish tacking the horses outside the castle, I notice that the warlock was strangely silent.

"Are you alright, Merlin?" I ask, glancing at him over my shoulder.

"Yeah. I'm fine, Ari," He replies. Merlin sighs. "Gaius and I just kind of had a fight, is all."

"He didn't want us to go?" I ask knowingly. Merlin nods as he steps around his beautiful bay horse, with a white key shaped mark on its forehead.

As Merlin goes to check the girth, he pauses as Gaius and Eric approach us.